Author Topic: The TBG Desktop Buyer's Guide  (Read 6099 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG Desktop Buyer's Guide
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 09:55:00 AM »
Hi there,

I've been looking through many of your guides and I've been questioning whether or not it would still make sense to build my own custom PC. With the cryptocurrency craze I have not been able to price anything remotely close to the budgets listed nor even find stock available which has lead me to search for pre-builts instead. While I will miss the overall satisfaction of building my own I just don't think that will be feasible anytime soon.

With that said would you be able to pinpoint a decent rig that can fit my needs? I'm heavily drawn to the Corsair One but I have also been looking at Origin Gaming Neuron Mid Tower setup. I know those are two vastly different systems (SFF vs Midsize) but having a very nice case that can be displayed in a work environment is important to me aesthetically. It is just that a part of me is thinking that may be overkill for my productivity needs.

I utilize my system primarily for two functions: daily trading activity/portfolio calculations and video editing. On the trading front I primarily use a proprietary trading platform that appears to be a memory hog. I currently have a 32" curved monitor and would like to dual screen in the future. Typical programs include MS Outlook/Word and Excel with multiple line calculations running. A lot of what I do is web based so Google Chrome with over a dozen tabs open continuously is typical for me. Throw on a little Spotify or Youtube running in the background and that sucker is pretty much what I have running.

On another front I am also getting into filming educational videos for uploading onto a website. I'll be filming in 4k and will need to run software to edit the video, insert graphics and all the rest of the good stuff. All of this will be uploaded onto a website and ideally I would not close out of any of the above programs while working as I have a tendency to multi-task. With the exception of the trading platform-I don't mind closing that up.

I haven't played games on the PC in over 3 years and while I would like to, it just isn't that big of a deal. Productivity is priority #1.

Running everything super fast is extremely important to me. Waiting for Windows to load up and be ready for use can be aggravating and waiting patiently for Chrome or Outlook to load is not something I want to do. If this can all be packed into a quiet form factor case then I think I've found technology heaven.

If there is anything you can recommend that will accomplish those needs I will be greatly appreciative. I have only built gaming PCs in the past (not on one currently) so I just don't know what type of power is needed for productivity usage. If you're able to provide me with different price points such as prebuilt at $1000, $1500, and $2000 that would be fantastic.

Thank you.

Hello, Shinrouen, and welcome to the TBG Forum!

You are right that cryptocurrency has made it really difficult to build a gaming PC, but what you're talking about really isn't a gaming PC, it's a trading PC. You could actually get away with building a PC using just onboard CPU graphics or an HTPC-type GPU, which you can in fact buy today. Here are two examples of systems that would work really well for you:

(1) The High-End NAS System - take this and upgrade to 16GB of RAM and a Core i5-8400 CPU, for a total of around $1,050.
(2) The Stock Trading PC - take this and downgrade from the unavailable GTX 1060 3GB to a GTX 1050, for a total  of around $1,250.

One question I have is which model of 32" monitor are you using. Depending on the resolution and available connectors, you may need a specific video card to drive the setup (or drive two of them if that's your ultimate goal).

For your purposes, I definitely would not be looking at pre-built system in the $1,500-$2,000 range, as you'd end up spending a lot more than necessary to achieve your goals, and potentially you'd get short-changed in RAM or fast storage just to get an unnecessary gaming video card.

Shinrouen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 01:24:03 PM »
Ari,

Thank you for the warm welcome and your response.

The monitor I am using currently is the Sceptre 32" 1080P Curved Monitor.

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074NJVQ4D/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I read through both the Stocking Trading PC Build and the NAS set up and again I just want to say I love your guides and especially the stylish form factor cases you choose. In my situation, with the addition of 4K video editing, is the GT 1030 capable of only 4K output or would it also be capable of 4K video editing? I notice that in the Stocking Trading Build it incorporates the GTX 1060 3GB.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 02:00:51 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 02:11:04 PM »
Ari,

Thank you for the warm welcome and your response.

The monitor I am using currently is the Sceptre 32" 1080P Curved Monitor.

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074NJVQ4D/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I read through both the Stocking Trading PC Build and the NAS set up and again I just want to say I love your guides and especially the stylish form factor cases you choose. In my situation, with the addition of 4K video editing, is the GT 1030 capable of only 4K output or would it also be capable of 4K video editing? I notice that in the Stocking Trading Build it incorporates the GTX 1060 3GB.

You actually don't need a GPU at all to process 4K video. That can be done by CPUs alone. But if I were to suggest a best path for you, it would be to pick up a system with a GTX 1050 2GB, which has plenty of GPU horsepower to accelerate video processing. Of course, the trickle down effect of cryptocurrency mining is that even the GTX 1050 is sold out, even though it's worthless for mining, because everything above it has been bought up by miners. Rather than pay an inflated price to a second-tier vendor, you can backorder this MSI GTX 1050 model from Amazon for a decent price. With its combination of a DisplayPort Version 1.4 port and an HDMI Version 2.0 port, it will run any dual-monitor setup you can throw at it. The 1080p monitor you have can even be run off its DVI port (which will not work at 4K).

Note that a GTX 1050 won't fit in the $900 NAS build, as that system needs a single-slot video card, so go for the Stock Trading build with the GTX 1050 substitution. Remember, the GTX 1060 is essentially impossible to buy today, and the only reason it was in that build was for the triple DisplayPort outputs, which would allow the use of three 4K monitors.

Shinrouen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 03:35:31 PM »
Thanks as that helps a lot. I'm going to throw one more final wrench in the cog and see what you think.

I've priced out based on availability the Stock Trading Platform and it has come out to right around the price you mentioned: $1200 pre tax for all the components listed.

I have the opportunity to purchase this new for $1120

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/windows-desktops/tower/artpc-pulse--core--i7---256gb--sdd----1tb--hdd--dp700c6a-a01us/

What are your thoughts if you don't mind sharing?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 03:52:14 PM »
Thanks as that helps a lot. I'm going to throw one more final wrench in the cog and see what you think.

I've priced out based on availability the Stock Trading Platform and it has come out to right around the price you mentioned: $1200 pre tax for all the components listed.

I have the opportunity to purchase this new for $1120

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/windows-desktops/tower/artpc-pulse--core--i7---256gb--sdd----1tb--hdd--dp700c6a-a01us/

What are your thoughts if you don't mind sharing?

Wow, that system looks amazing! I'm surprised I've never heard of it, as it's not new - the CPU it uses, a Core i7-6700, was released 2.5 years ago. That being said, it's nearly as fast as the Core i5-8400 I recommended earlier in this thread.

If you like the looks of it, I'd probably jump on that deal. No, it's not as powerful in terms of the CPU or the GPU as anything I've recommended to you, but it's probably the best looking PC I've ever seen, and at $1,120 it's actually a good deal too. Ultimately, it depends how much you value the building experience and the ability to modify the PC down the line, versus the unique design of this system (which is likely very hard to upgrade).

Shinrouen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 07:03:49 PM »
Yeah I was very surprised as I looked pretty extensively through the SFF market for prebuilts and that unit was very rarely reviewed or advertised. Probably not the best marketing job Samsung has done.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 08:51:16 PM »
Yeah I was very surprised as I looked pretty extensively through the SFF market for prebuilts and that unit was very rarely reviewed or advertised. Probably not the best marketing job Samsung has done.

I've visited the Samsung booth at CES the past three years, and in fact had a private tour this year. They've never once shown off a desktop PC, and this year, they didn't even have a PC section in their booth.

I'd say that was a one-off experiment, and if you like the design, it would certainly be a unique option.

Jodensai

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 10:30:45 PM »
I知 surprised that you recently recommended the Corsair Pro over the Elite. In your most recent small form factor guide you recommended the elite and on the newest desktop buyers guide you recommend the Pro. I don稚 understand. I begin to doubt at times how much I should trust the guides. How much thought is really going into these buyers guides? I知 not attacking you. I just come here because I want the best when it comes to my PC needs. Maybe I知 wrong. Maybe the difference is so negligible that you were simply saving people money. Just curious is all. Thanks.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 10:43:41 PM »
I知 surprised that you recently recommended the Corsair Pro over the Elite. In your most recent small form factor guide you recommended the elite and on the newest desktop buyers guide you recommend the Pro. I don稚 understand. I begin to doubt at times how much I should trust the guides. How much thought is really going into these buyers guides? I知 not attacking you. I just come here because I want the best when it comes to my PC needs. Maybe I知 wrong. Maybe the difference is so negligible that you were simply saving people money. Just curious is all. Thanks.

The reason is simple: The Elite is out of stock, and frankly, it's a bad value. Corsair upgraded the CPU from a 7700K to an 8700K, and the RAM from DDR4-2400 to DDR4-2666, while adding $200 to the price. This is costing Corsair an extra $20 in components, and it should have come in at the same price.

Now, had the Elite actually not sold out the day it was released (it was essentially a paper launch, because Corsair clearly doesn't have enough 8700K CPUs on hand), I might recommend it, but even then, if a guide is targeting a specific pricepoint and Corsair misses it, it won't get a recommendation.

If that helps explain the situation and you're interested in buying a Corsair One, please use the links in any of the guides where it appears to help support this site. Just note that the Pros are now selling out as well, and the Elites continue to be unavailable.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:48:34 AM by Ari Altman »