Author Topic: MSI Trident 3 VR7RC-028US  (Read 655 times)

Jodensai

• View Profile
MSI Trident 3 VR7RC-028US
« on: January 13, 2018, 08:06:59 PM »
Hello everyone at TBG! I have been a long time fan of the site and long time supporter as well by buying all my tech through the affiliate links to amazon. Today I have now joined the forums and happy to be here. Now that I have given some sort of introduction I would like to get to the point of my post since nobody likes to read at great length. I went to the desktop buyers guide and tried the link for the MSI Trident 3 VR7RC-028US. It appears Amazon no longer sells it through your affiliate link and I do want to continue to support you. To be honest it seems this unit is not really for sale anywhere except through Intels' website and Microsofts' website. Is there a reason for this? Not even newegg sells it anymore. I really want this unit because it will be put to use in my home cinema setup. I have to have a slimline unit like this. I really don't have the time or desire to use the do it yourself guides to make a HTPC. Is the desktop buyers guide out of date? It seems you just updated it right around Christmas. Anyway, long story short I need a slim and powerful unit like this for use in my home theatre. If any of you can give me any help at all I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you and it's good to be more involved with the community now besides just providing some financial support.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: MSI Trident 3 VR7RC-028US
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:36:20 PM »
Hello everyone at TBG! I have been a long time fan of the site and long time supporter as well by buying all my tech through the affiliate links to amazon. Today I have now joined the forums and happy to be here. Now that I have given some sort of introduction I would like to get to the point of my post since nobody likes to read at great length. I went to the desktop buyers guide and tried the link for the MSI Trident 3 VR7RC-028US. It appears Amazon no longer sells it through your affiliate link and I do want to continue to support you. To be honest it seems this unit is not really for sale anywhere except through Intels' website and Microsofts' website. Is there a reason for this? Not even newegg sells it anymore. I really want this unit because it will be put to use in my home cinema setup. I have to have a slimline unit like this. I really don't have the time or desire to use the do it yourself guides to make a HTPC. Is the desktop buyers guide out of date? It seems you just updated it right around Christmas. Anyway, long story short I need a slim and powerful unit like this for use in my home theatre. If any of you can give me any help at all I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you and it's good to be more involved with the community now besides just providing some financial support.

Welcome to the Forum, Jodensai, and thank you for supporting this site by using the Amazon affiliate links!

Indeed, it looks like the MSI Trident 3 VR7RC-028US is now sold out. It was still available in December when the guide was published, but as of right now, only the version with a Core i7-7700 is available, and it doesn't have a solid-state drive. It's $1,050 after rebate, versus $900 for the model recommended in the guide (which is now sold out), so I don't recommend you go with it.

The reason that you're seeing these models sell out is because MSI is in the process of rolling out a brand-new line of Tridents using Intel's 8th-gen processors. They were just launched at CES 2018, and won't be available for a while.

Luckily, Asus has a competing model that is in stock, and actually comes better equipped. It's the ASUS GR8 II-T069Z, and while it's a bit more expensive at $950, it comes with the superior 512GB SSD (much bigger than the 128GB in the sold-out MSI model). It also has twice the RAM (16GB).

Now, the one disadvantage of the Asus is that it's not made to lay on its side, so it will look a little strange stacked on top of other AV equipment, but if you can place it next to a TV, it will work out just fine.