Author Topic: Air Cooling the TBG Ultimate Gaming Mini-ITX PC Build  (Read 23881 times)

Steve N. Mavronis

• View Profile
Re: Air Cooling the TBG Ultimate Gaming Mini-ITX PC Build
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 05:39:03 AM »
Straighten me out on case fan connections. The ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming motherboard has 1 CPU 4-pin fan header, and 2 case 4-pin fan headers, one next to the CPU fan header at the top rear and one at the bottom next to the PCIe slot.

The stock Phanteks Evolv ITX 200mm intake fan (PH-F200SP) and optional 140mm fans (PH-F140SP - $15 each or $25 for 2-pack) both fan specifications say 'speed sensor' is 3-pin.

Phanteks sells 2 Fan Splitter cables (PH-CB-Y3P 3-Pin y-splitter for $3, and PH-CB-Y4P 4-Pin y-splitter for $5) - "The Y-Splitter allows you to connect 2 fans to one fan header. Phanteks Y splitter can also be used with other 3-pin (PH-CB-Y3P) or 4-pin (PH-CB-Y4P) fans as well, maximizing the amount of fans you can have in your build."

Phanteks also sells a PWM Fan Hub (PH-PWHUB) for $15 with "6 fan headers allowing for up to 12 fans or 30 watts of consumed power. The package also includes 2 3-pin splitters for a total of 8 connections without needing to purchase additional splitters. Mounting can be done on any Enthoo Series case with the provided screws or any other case using the universal mounting strips. The Phanteks PWM Fan Hub is capable of powering up to *11x fans (3-pin) through PWM modulation, while occupying only 1x 4-pin header of your motherboard per Fan Hub. At the same time this Fan Hub also keeps your chassis interior clean and tidy by centralizing all your fan cables. The PWM hub comes with pre-drilled mounting holes for easy installation to your Enthoo cases and also Velcro strips for use with other chassis. Power LED illuminates the Phanteks Logo when the PWM hub is powered on."

I plan on buying the Phanteks Evolv ITX Bundle for $85 today or tomorrow which includes a 140mm fan (for the rear exhaust) and drive bracket. If I buy the 140mm 2-pack for $25 as well to replace the stock 200mm intake fan, do you recommend one of the Y-splitters or their PWM fan hub?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 05:58:28 AM by Steve N. Mavronis »
Evolv ITX Build w/3DMark 11/Fire Strike Scores:
PCPartPicker - https://pcpartpicker.com/b/96JV3C
EVGA Mod Rigs - www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?buildid=35547

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2016, 11:38:36 AM »
Straighten me out on case fan connections. The ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming motherboard has 1 CPU 4-pin fan header, and 2 case 4-pin fan headers, one next to the CPU fan header at the top rear and one at the bottom next to the PCIe slot.

The stock Phanteks Evolv ITX 200mm intake fan (PH-F200SP) and optional 140mm fans (PH-F140SP - $15 each or $25 for 2-pack) both fan specifications say 'speed sensor' is 3-pin.

Phanteks sells 2 Fan Splitter cables (PH-CB-Y3P 3-Pin y-splitter for $3, and PH-CB-Y4P 4-Pin y-splitter for $5) - "The Y-Splitter allows you to connect 2 fans to one fan header. Phanteks Y splitter can also be used with other 3-pin (PH-CB-Y3P) or 4-pin (PH-CB-Y4P) fans as well, maximizing the amount of fans you can have in your build."

Phanteks also sells a PWM Fan Hub (PH-PWHUB) for $15 with "6 fan headers allowing for up to 12 fans or 30 watts of consumed power. The package also includes 2 3-pin splitters for a total of 8 connections without needing to purchase additional splitters. Mounting can be done on any Enthoo Series case with the provided screws or any other case using the universal mounting strips. The Phanteks PWM Fan Hub is capable of powering up to *11x fans (3-pin) through PWM modulation, while occupying only 1x 4-pin header of your motherboard per Fan Hub. At the same time this Fan Hub also keeps your chassis interior clean and tidy by centralizing all your fan cables. The PWM hub comes with pre-drilled mounting holes for easy installation to your Enthoo cases and also Velcro strips for use with other chassis. Power LED illuminates the Phanteks Logo when the PWM hub is powered on."

I plan on buying the Phanteks Evolv ITX Bundle for $85 today or tomorrow which includes a 140mm fan (for the rear exhaust) and drive bracket. If I buy the 140mm 2-pack for $25 as well to replace the stock 200mm intake fan, do you recommend one of the Y-splitters or their PWM fan hub?

In your situation the two products will do exactly the same thing, so get the cheaper and simpler option (the splitter). You do not need more fan connections, and those fans aren't PWM-enabled anyway (which is really an old standard an no longer important given motherboard built-in controls).

Steve N. Mavronis

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2016, 10:34:26 AM »
I got notification last night from Thermalright/Taiwan that my free requested CPU spacer and 4 washers shipped via registered airmail. Although this is not technically required to install my Silver Arrow ITX cooler, they recommend it for Intel Skylake users (generally to address the reported CPU damage issue) with their products and will start including them soon. Anyway, I might as well wait for these and use them. Deciding to ask for these has voluntarily held up by build for a week or so already so it's on me. ;)

Steve N. Mavronis

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2016, 08:12:32 PM »
Since March 2nd or 3rd my free Thermalright Skylake CPU spacer and backplate washers presumably reached United States Customs in NY. I can no longer see any shipment status changes using the Taiwan tracking number because USPS doesn't provide international tracking from Taiwan. I'm not sure if it's still being held in US Customs until scanned. But I have a 'My USPS' account setup to detect any package in route to my address and it shows no deliveries pending at this time. So I'm assuming it's probably stuck in US Customs until they decide to process it.

Today I wrote to Thermalright/Taiwan who had originally sent me my shipment tracking info on February 29 saying where shipped February 26. In response they told me the items should arrive in 2-3 weeks and to wait. Not sure if they mean counting from February 26 or today. It's a bummer having my entire PC built now for a couple weeks already while still waiting on these precautionary parts that I had requested so I can finish it. It's frustrating as you can understand.

I could just forget about it and install the CPU and mount the Silver Arrow ITX cooler without them, but I'd probably kick myself when they finally arrive after the fact.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:21:36 PM by Steve N. Mavronis »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2016, 08:58:47 PM »
Go ahead and install it now. I can definitely understand your frustration. The only precaution I'd take is to secure the heatsink methodically, making sure not to overtighten, and don't move the system around except by hand, i.e. not in a vehicle where it could get jostled. You can always dig into the system another time to install the brace.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 08:34:48 PM by Ari Altman »

Steve N. Mavronis

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2016, 07:04:00 AM »
Go ahead and install it now. I can definitely understand your frustration. The only precaution I'd take is to secure the heatsink methodically, making sure not to overtighten, and don't move the system around except by hand, i.e. not in a vehicle where it could get jostled. You can always dig into the system another time to install the brace.

I may end up doing it. I'll give until this weekend, sigh. If you look at Thermalright's solution they have a clear support spacer that fits snugly around the processor when the latch is locked down pressing on the side tabs of the CPU lid and the support spacer holding everything in place. It also overlaps the plastic CPU socket frame without pushing against the processor PCB. I guess it helps reduce any downward pressure when securing a heatsink cooler to the processor in effect shielding the thin PCB. They are recommending this for Skylake processors with heatsink coolers over 500g. The Silver Arrow ITX is 700g. It seems like a good idea and so that's my hangup waiting for it.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:05:31 AM by Steve N. Mavronis »

Steve N. Mavronis

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 01:22:14 PM »
Today I got my free requested Thermalright LGA1151 CPU Support Spacer and 4 Special (Screw Nut) Washers to help reduce cooler mounting pressure (with my Silver Arrow ITX heatsink) so that my Intel Skylake i7-6700K CPU and ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming motherboard processor socket isn't likely to be damaged.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 02:09:49 PM by Steve N. Mavronis »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 10:57:04 PM »
Right in time for the weekend...looking forward to seeing the completed build!