Author Topic: The TBG Video Card Buyer's Guide  (Read 9413 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 6/8 monitor configuration
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 03:37:29 PM »
Thanks for the great work you do! I wanted to ask you if you could add also an alternative for 6/8 monitors, atx configuration

Welcome to the Forum, Prik! Glad to hear you like the guides!

So, to get 6 monitors working, there are two different approaches:

(1) If you want to use six monitors with a resolution of 2560x1440 or below, you could actually use the existing system and take advantage of DisplayPort daisy chaining, connecting each of the three available DisplayPort outputs on a single video card to one monitor, and then a second monitor from each of those monitors using a second DisplayPort cable. The limitation here is that each output on the video card is still limited to a resolution of 3840x2160 (4K), so you can't have two 4K monitors driven off of one output, but you can have two 2560x1440 monitors driven off each output. Technical details on this setup are provided by the DisplayPort consortium.

(2) If you want to drive six monitors with resolutions above 2560x1440, for example six ultra-wides or six 4K monitors, then you're going to need two video cards. To do that, you of course need a second video card, as well as a case and motherboard that supports two video cards. You can simply purchase two of the GTX 1060 cards listed in the guide, then upgrade the build with the Gigabyte X470 Ultra Gaming motherboard and the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X case. Everything else in the build will remain exactly the same.

Report back on what you decide to do!

Prik

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 01:00:27 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and for the very precise explanation! To tell the truth I'm still a little undecided about what to do, now I'll explain better. I have a configuration a bit old(cpu i7-2600 , motherboard Asrock z68 Pro3(https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z68%20Pro3/index.asp)...)  and the idea was to run 6/8 monitor, then buy a video card with 6 video outputs, since the motherboard has only one PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot and then move the card on a new configuration of a newer new computer. So I bought a Sapphire GPRO 6200 graphics card with 6 Mini-Displayport outputs(http://www.sapphirepgs.com/productdetail.asp?IDno=108&tag=spec&lang=eng) to which I wanted to connect 6 of these monitors 27 "(2k) Hannspree HQ272PPB(https://www.hannspree.eu/product/hq-272-ppb), only I bought one to see if I was comfortable and I must say I'm not very happy , the fonts are a bit too small to read in the original 2k resolution, I know that I can increase the size of the characters through windows 10, but so I lose space. So to conclude the graphics card I already have it, but I'm still a little undecided on the monitors to buy.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 03:49:29 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and for the very precise explanation! To tell the truth I'm still a little undecided about what to do, now I'll explain better. I have a configuration a bit old(cpu i7-2600 , motherboard Asrock z68 Pro3(https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z68%20Pro3/index.asp)...)  and the idea was to run 6/8 monitor, then buy a video card with 6 video outputs, since the motherboard has only one PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot and then move the card on a new configuration of a newer new computer. So I bought a Sapphire GPRO 6200 graphics card with 6 Mini-Displayport outputs(http://www.sapphirepgs.com/productdetail.asp?IDno=108&tag=spec&lang=eng) to which I wanted to connect 6 of these monitors 27 "(2k) Hannspree HQ272PPB(https://www.hannspree.eu/product/hq-272-ppb), only I bought one to see if I was comfortable and I must say I'm not very happy , the fonts are a bit too small to read in the original 2k resolution, I know that I can increase the size of the characters through windows 10, but so I lose space. So to conclude the graphics card I already have it, but I'm still a little undecided on the monitors to buy.

That old Radeon card you bought is not a good solution in my opinion. Its DisplayPort outputs can only support 4K monitors at 30Hz, which is practically unusable, and they furthermore require mini displayport cables which are not mainstream.

It seems like you're really putting together a custom PC based on old parts, so I don't think your question at this point is actually related to the Stock Trading PC. Perhaps I'll split this question off and put it in the monitor section of the forum.

If a 27" 1440p monitor was uncomfortable to use due to the dot pitch, which is fairly standard at this point, your only option is to go with a 1080p monitor. Everything else will have a much smaller dot pitch.

Prik

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 06:25:53 AM »
Thanks, I need to clear my head a bit 'ideas

Secret

• View Profile
Re: The TBG Video Card Buyer's Guide
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 03:35:49 PM »
I see you recommended the 5700, what do you think of the 5700xt for $400 or would you recommend another $400 card.  I read the thermals aren't good but hoping those prices will hold once models with different coolers come out.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 04:25:09 PM »
I see you recommended the 5700, what do you think of the 5700xt for $400 or would you recommend another $400 card.  I read the thermals aren't good but hoping those prices will hold once models with different coolers come out.

Performance-wise, the 5700 XT is amazing. In terms of cooling, it's pushing the limits of the blower cooler, and the RX 5700 is much better. So, overall, I like the 5700, but the XT is the best bang for the buck on the market, and custom models won't arrive until September from what I've seen.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 07:22:54 PM »
I dont understand why amd keeps putting out these cards with blowers

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 08:41:14 PM »
I dont understand why amd keeps putting out these cards with blowers

To be honest, it shocked me that they did so given nvidia moved away from them, and OEMs and case manufacturers are learning to deal with it (blowers allow for less attention to case cooling). That and they designed an open air model for the Radeon Vega VII. Maybe it's slightly cheaper with the single fan and motor, but we're talking a dollar or so. Missed opportunity.

Actually just had a theory come to me... could be that AMD couldn't (or wouldn't for secrecy purposes) get samples to board partners in time and gave then exclusivity on open air coolers as a consolation prize. Given that many are huge Nvidia partners means this makes some strategic sense.