Author Topic: The TBG Ultimate Gaming Mini-ITX PC Build  (Read 23230 times)

Gwynbleidd

• View Profile
Re: The TBG Ultimate Gaming Mini-ITX PC Build
« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2017, 08:48:51 AM »
so i bought most parts for this build:
http://techbuyersguru.com/1500-ultra-compact-mini-itx-pc-build

the only thing i didnt bought was (already have them from my main pc) i5-6600k and msi gtx 970

i have a few questions:
in april you had samsung m.2 and on may u changed it to crucial,why?
and will the build perform well with m.2 ssd? first time that im using it.
also, the cpu support ddr4 2166mhz and i bought the corsair ddr4 3000mhz, will it be ok?

Welcome to the TBG Forum, Gwynbleidd!

Everything you purchased through the guide will work fine in this build, but unless your MSI GTX 970 is reference model, it will NOT fit. If you link the model you have in this thread, I will confirm whether it will work.

The Samsung SSD was dropped because it jumped in price, making it a terrible value (it was removed from every guide on the site, actually). M.2 drives perform just like 2.5" drives, so yes, the drive you have will perform well. Also, DDR4-3000 will work fine in this build - that's why it's recommended in the guide! ;)

hi ari,
glad to join here :~>

the gpu i have is this:
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-970-GAMING-4G.html#hero-overview

i googled the case + the gpu and i saw ppl making it work (at the maximum, i had to cut a bit of plastic :p)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2017, 08:55:13 AM »

the only thing i didnt bought was (already have them from my main pc) i5-6600k and msi gtx 970

i have a few questions:
also, the cpu support ddr4 2166mhz and i bought the corsair ddr4 3000mhz, will it be ok?

Everything you purchased through the guide will work fine in this build, but unless your MSI GTX 970 is reference model, it will NOT fit. If you link the model you have in this thread, I will confirm whether it will work.

The Samsung SSD was dropped because it jumped in price, making it a terrible value (it was removed from every guide on the site, actually). M.2 drives perform just like 2.5" drives, so yes, the drive you have will perform well. Also, DDR4-3000 will work fine in this build - that's why it's recommended in the guide! ;)

hi ari,

the gpu i have is this:

i googled the case + the gpu and i saw ppl making it work (at the maximum, i had to cut a bit of plastic :p)

That sounds right - the card is too tall and too long to fit in the case, so you'll probably have to cut the edge of the cooler off.

Gwynbleidd

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2017, 11:53:28 PM »

i have a few questions:

hi ari,

the gpu i have is this:

That sounds right - the card is too tall and too long to fit in the case, so you'll probably have to cut the edge of the cooler off.

good morning ari,

just to make sure, the DDR4 3000mhz will perform ok with my i5 6600k?
on intel website they say the cpu support up to 2166mhz, but the motherboard itself supports 3000mhz.
i wont have a bottle neck?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2017, 06:37:17 AM »

good morning ari,

on intel website they say the cpu support up to 2166mhz, but the motherboard itself supports 3000mhz.

DDR4-2133 is the official rating for all Skylake CPUs. That is not, however, the limit for the system, which is set by the motherboard. If you were using an H170 or H270 motherboard, 2133MHz is all you'd get, but with a Z170/Z270 you have the ability to overclock memory, either manually or using the XMP profile. For Corsair DDR4-3000 RAM, the XMP profile will set your speed to 3000MHz with 15-17-17-15 timings, and it will work perfectly.

Gwynbleidd

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2017, 09:32:40 AM »

good morning ari,

DDR4-2133 is the official rating for all Skylake CPUs. That is not, however, the limit for the system, which is set by the motherboard. If you were using an H170 or H270 motherboard, 2133MHz is all you'd get, but with a Z170/Z270 you have the ability to overclock memory, either manually or using the XMP profile. For Corsair DDR4-3000 RAM, the XMP profile will set your speed to 3000MHz with 15-17-17-15 timings, and it will work perfectly.

thanks ari!

ill got all the parts, except the m.2 which ill get next week, so ill build everything later :)
do you have cheaper alternatives for the i7 7700k and the evga 1070?
i have atm i5 6600k and msi gtx 970
ill upgrade the cpu and gpu in the future since both of them pretty solid :)

also, is there gonna be an update in parts for next month?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »

good morning ari,

thanks ari!

ill got all the parts, except the m.2 which ill get next week, so ill build everything later :)
do you have cheaper alternatives for the i7 7700k and the evga 1070?
i have atm i5 6600k and msi gtx 970
ill upgrade the cpu and gpu in the future since both of them pretty solid :)

also, is there gonna be an update in parts for next month?

Given that you have a 6600K and a GTX 970, I honestly cannot recommend anything else other than what's already in the guide: a Core i7-7700K and the EVGA GTX 1070. No other CPU offers a significant upgrade, and the EVGA 1070 is the only GPU that will fit that provides a serious boost from a 970. You could go with a GTX 1060, but it's just not fast enough compared to what you have.

And, yes, the guide is updated every month, and next month won't be an exception. Stay tuned!

Gwynbleidd

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: Today at 01:04:31 AM »
hi ari!,

i got all the parts, and yesterday night i stay awake untill 01:30 just to build it :D

it was hard..
when everything was build, i had to rebuild it cuz i noticed i forgot to mount the m.2
after that i had to rebuild it again because the cables were stuck :(

but in the end, once i connected the power supply to the power outlet and those rgb were up :D
it was worth it.

everything is smooth

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Today at 07:28:03 AM »
hi ari!,

i got all the parts, and yesterday night i stay awake untill 01:30 just to build it :D

it was hard..
when everything was build, i had to rebuild it cuz i noticed i forgot to mount the m.2
after that i had to rebuild it again because the cables were stuck :(

but in the end, once i connected the power supply to the power outlet and those rgb were up :D
it was worth it.

everything is smooth

Excellent - great to hear this worked out!