Author Topic: The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build  (Read 7085 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »
Nope, no reaction whatsoever. I can see that the 2133 MHz RAM is supported, but it should be able to run the 3200 in OC, doesn't the motherboard adjust the frequency down to 2133 as default?
Otherwise I will have buy a new set of RAM.

Kistrup

A few more questions before you buy new RAM:
(1) Are you completely sure that the 4+4-pin EPS power cable is properly inserted into the 8-pin power connector at the top edge of the motherboard?
(2) Did you experience any trouble installing the CPU? Damage to the socket, including bent pins, could cause the problem you are describing. You may want to remove the cooler and CPU to check for visible damage.

If you do decide to buy new RAM, you may want to try a single 4GB stick of DDR4-2133. I realize you want more RAM than that, but this will allow you to confirm whether the RAM is the problem at the least possible cost. The other potential issue, if there's no damage from installation, would be a defective motherboard.

Kistrup

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 09:31:45 AM »
I checked the 4+4 pipower cable, it was properly inserted in the motherboard, but both that cable and the 24 pin motherboard cable were a little loose in the PSU. I inserted them both again, but to no effect.
I don't think the CPU is problem, it was gently put in place in one smooth move and the lid clicked on and the black cower jumped off.
Was it left now, is to buy or borrow a memory stick ddr4 ram 2133 MHz, the try it, if it works and the pic boots, can I then re-insert the ones I bought?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 09:59:01 AM »
I checked the 4+4 pipower cable, it was properly inserted in the motherboard, but both that cable and the 24 pin motherboard cable were a little loose in the PSU. I inserted them both again, but to no effect.
I don't think the CPU is problem, it was gently put in place in one smooth move and the lid clicked on and the black cower jumped off.
Was it left now, is to buy or borrow a memory stick ddr4 ram 2133 MHz, the try it, if it works and the pic boots, can I then re-insert the ones I bought?

OK, it seems like you've checked everything. Good idea to confirm the modular power cable connections.

Yes, at this point, you want to buy or borrow a single DDR4-2133 4GB RAM stick, which is the least expensive configuration you can find for this system (about $25). If it boots, you'd then want to input manual DDR4-2133 settings to try forcing the board to boot your 3200MHz sticks at 2133MHz. I am not convinced yet that this is the problem, so I don't want to promise that you'll be able to boot with the DDR4-2133 stick.

It could be the motherboard, as a TGB reader recently posted about right here: http://techbuyersguru.com/forum/index.php?topic=28.msg3198#msg3198

As you can see, he was trying to run DDR4-3200 RAM in an Asus Z170 board, and it would not boot correctly. He RMA'd the board to Asus and the replacement worked.

Kistrup

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 08:53:22 AM »
I've now tried to boot without any RAM, and there should be a sound, indicating the missing RAM. There was no sound. I have now spoken with my supplier, and arranged a swap of the motherboard.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 09:34:19 AM »
I've now tried to boot without any RAM, and there should be a sound, indicating the missing RAM. There was no sound. I have now spoken with my supplier, and arranged a swap of the motherboard.

You unfortunately received very incorrect advice somewhere. Modern motherboards have no built-in speakers. I just booted with no RAM on one of my test systems, and the PC simply went into a boot loop, restarting over and over. If your system is doing the same thing, it is doing exactly what it should under the circumstances. There is no way you could hear a sound due to missing RAM. Furthermore, even if it could make sound but didn't, this still isn't indicative of a motherboard problem. You could have a CPU installation issue.

Hopefully the motherboard swap will fix the problem, but the troubleshooting you've done so far doesn't necessarily indicate that the motherboard is the problem. It's just one possibility.

I recommend you proceed with my original advice to try a single stick of DDR4-2133 RAM. It is much less costly and much easier to try than swapping a motherboard. You can proceed with the motherboard swap if the RAM doesn't work.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:45:03 AM by Ari Altman »

Kistrup

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 12:25:05 PM »
Hi again, the motherboard swap was a success, windows 10 is now installing! Thank You for the fast response and your advice, we will keep following your site here from Denmark.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »
Hi again, the motherboard swap was a success, windows 10 is now installing! Thank You for the fast response and your advice, we will keep following your site here from Denmark.

Good to hear! Please report back on how you like the system once it's up and running!

This is actually only the second time a reader has confirmed that a faulty motherboard caused a failure to boot, and thousands of readers have built systems using TBG's guides over the past four years. That is why I didn't want to recommend replacing the board before trying other steps, as it is a difficult thing to do. Did you replace it with the exact same Gigabyte model? If not, which did you use?

You might try that troubleshooting step you used that I disagreed with (booting without RAM to try to produce a "sound"), in order to see if it's actually valid. I'm pretty sure it's not, but I'm happy to be proven wrong! ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:49:40 PM by Ari Altman »

Kistrup

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 11:19:42 AM »
We did actually replace it with the same board. The only "issue" we've encountered so far, was a fan that didn't work. We moved it from sys_fan 1 to sys_fan 2, now it works!?
Next step is to learn how to overclock the ram to 3200 MHz.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 10:49:15 PM »
We did actually replace it with the same board. The only "issue" we've encountered so far, was a fan that didn't work. We moved it from sys_fan 1 to sys_fan 2, now it works!?
Next step is to learn how to overclock the ram to 3200 MHz.

As you have DDR4-3200 RAM, all you have to do to overclock it is to enable the XMP profile in the Gigabyte UEFI, which you access just by tapping the "delete" key while booting.

Kistrup

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 02:33:48 AM »
That went smoothly, now we are going for the CPU. The information I can find on the internet, suggests a multiplier of 44 and a vcore voltage on 1.3 V, I'm unsure if I should set the voltage on manual or adaptive?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 03:03:19 AM »
That went smoothly, now we are going for the CPU. The information I can find on the internet, suggests a multiplier of 44 and a vcore voltage on 1.3 V, I'm unsure if I should set the voltage on manual or adaptive?

My sample 6600K runs perfectly stable at 4.4GHz with no manual adjustment of the voltage. The motherboard auto-detects the voltage settings. 1.3V is almost definitely far too high. Just try setting the multiplier at 4.4GHz with everything else at auto. If that doesn't work, your CPU may need more voltage, but I'd start with an adaptive voltage of 1.25V.

Kistrup

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 09:23:25 AM »
Hi again, we now need to buy and insert a wireless networking card to access the internet, when not in range of a cable. Do You have any suggestions to which one we should go for. We have looked at those in Your guide, but which of them fits best to our build?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »
Hi again, we now need to buy and insert a wireless networking card to access the internet, when not in range of a cable. Do You have any suggestions to which one we should go for. We have looked at those in Your guide, but which of them fits best to our build?

Just about any card will work with this system, as it has room for a PCIe card and does not require a low-profile model. My favorite is the TP-Link Archer T8E, although the T6E is almost as fast and may be a lot cheaper depending on where you shop.

Ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2017, 03:38:51 PM »
Hello TBG,

I recently used the $1,250 guide to build. It is currently working with no issues, though i do have a few questions about some technical points that I may be missing.

Parts Installed:

Intel Core I5-7600k
MSI Z270 PC Mate
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
2x8GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 (Recommended upgrade)
Crucial MX300 525GB M.2
EVGA Supernova G3 550W
Arctic Freezer i32
Microsoft Windows 10 Flash Drive

The case that was used was on the guide but now I see it is not as of 3/18/17 (build put together around 3/1/17) and is the Silverstone RL06 found here: https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-CS-RL06BR-PRO-Tower-intake/dp/B01N7VGKYD/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489871592&sr=8-2&keywords=silverstone+rl06

The questions i have about this build is as followed:

1) I installed the M.2 SSD on the lower port, below the graphics card PCI port. I dont see any issues as of right now but is that the correct spot to place this drive?
http://imgur.com/GI6ZiTt

2) The RL06 case that was recommended at one point in the guide came with the front fans connected to a multi header case mounted "thingie". It is mounted on the Power Supply access panel adjacent to the drive bay storage:
http://imgur.com/37x5RWU

I have no clue what it is. The MSI Z270 is said to have "6 fan headers" I did have a cable that I believe is the 'Molex' Connector. It looks like a 4pin fan header connector with only 2 wires going to another special style connector.
http://imgur.com/xt1TPjs

http://imgur.com/CTmDKQ1
 Just stock I have 5 fans that need to be connected, (3 intake case fans, 1 exhaust case fase, 1 cpu fan).

I have to connect the intake fans here:
http://imgur.com/gPfiQ7M
This case should be able to have top mounted fans as well (120 x2 , or 1 x 240) but I dont understand how to add additional fans at the top with the fan headers. I want to know:
1. What is that "thingie" called that the fans were connected to on the backside of the case and how do i connect them to the motherboard and have them work?

2) The front USB cables show they are 3.0 and 2.0 capable

http://imgur.com/FB626dF

but they are spliced together in 1 connector on the motherboard. Am I still getting the 3.0 speed for having them placed here:

http://imgur.com/zncZWWJ

3) I keep Having memory issues with a game I play, so I was thingking about filling up the memory slots.

http://imgur.com/2PWzk9Y

With that Corsair Vengeance I wanted 2 more sticks 2x8GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200. The CPU cooler I32 seems like it must be mounted in that way for the direction of rotation to maintain pressure in case. How would I be able to check if I can fit 2 more sticks in there with this cooler installed?

4) With this specific build, The Turbo Boost capability over clockes the CPU to 4.2GHz and the Memory at 4Ghz with a Voltage max of 1.250 with a max temp of 56C Measured with CPUID HWMonitor. I was wondering if you had any stable overclocking suggestions that might be able to push this machine to 5.0GHz.

Thank you for the help and keep up with the awesome builds!!!!!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 03:57:20 PM by Ginger »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2017, 04:34:10 PM »
Welcome to the TBG Forum, Ginger!

In case you missed it, there's actually a step-by-step build guide for the SilverStone RL06 case you have right here on TBG!

And don't worry, the RL06 hasn't disappeared - in fact, it was moved up to the $1,500 High-End Gaming PC Build because it offers such high performance.

There are two options for connecting the RL06's front fans: you either power them with a Molex connector through the fan hub (which provides no fan controls), or you connect each one to a separate header on the motherboard. Yes, your motherboard has six headers, so you have enough, though you'll have to carefully select which ones you use as the fan lead wires for the top-mounted fans won't reach them all. If you want to use more than six fans, then you'll either need to use the hub or seek out a third-party solution such as a fan splitter. But let me be clear: you don't need more fans in this system unless you like the look of more fans. They won't improve performance.

As for your memory issue, you'll really have to be more specific about that. I can assure that upgrading from 16GB to 32GB will not fix any issues you're having in games. Under absolutely no circumstances would you need that much memory, so if you are having issues, please provide some details and we look for a fix.

The USB ports will work at their rated speed - there is no way to accidentally plug a USB 3.0 cable into a USB 2.0 motherboard header or vice versa.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 05:23:06 PM by Ari Altman »