Author Topic: The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build  (Read 7086 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build
« on: August 08, 2014, 03:13:49 PM »
Feel free to discuss TBG's $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build in this thread.

You can find the original article here.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 02:55:02 PM »
One of our readers recently built up a gaming based on the $1,250 builder's guide and had some trouble upon first booting the PC. Luckily, we were able to walk him through it and thought we'd share our key trouble-shooting tips in this thread.

Here's the e-mail from our reader describing the problem:

"I assembled the machine today...  Unfortunately, it wasn't able
to start up.  It sounds like it is trying to start, then stops.  Does this
over and over.  The only fan that turns on is the cpu fan, all others do
not turn on.... Any suggestions would be appreciated."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was our response:

"Here are the very first trouble-shooting steps you should take:
(1) uninstall the video card and hook your monitor into the motherboard's
video output jack (HDMI, most likely, but it depends on your monitor).
(2) remove all but one of the memory sticks. The one remaining memory
stick should be in the second slot away from the CPU. I suggest pulling it
out and reinserting it just to make sure it locks in on both sides.
(3) unplug and reinsert all motherboard power cables.

Once you've done this, try restarting the computer, and let me know what
happens."

------------------------------------------------------

Turns out that did the trick, and allowed our reader to get the system to boot:

"we have our computer up and running with all components installed.  You
have been a tremendous help!  Thanks so much!"

wylie102

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 03:15:38 PM »
I just went to the amazon UK site for the hard drive featured here and there's an option to get M.2 instead of sata so I clicked it out of curiosity thinking the price would be outrageous and it's 252, which is less than the SATA version!

Can this be right? Is there some kind of catch?

Here's the link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0195B30KG/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B0195B30KG&linkCode=as2&tag=thtebusgu-21

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 04:29:51 PM »
I just went to the amazon UK site for the hard drive featured here and there's an option to get M.2 instead of sata so I clicked it out of curiosity thinking the price would be outrageous and it's 252, which is less than the SATA version!

Can this be right? Is there some kind of catch?

Here's the link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0195B30KG/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B0195B30KG&linkCode=as2&tag=thtebusgu-21

No catch at all - it actually looks like the difference is due to the third-party retailers selling the drives. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't seem to have either in stock, but when it does, the M.2 model is about 3% more expensive.

Remember, these are both SATA-based drives, so they will perform identically. It's only when you get into PCIe-based M.2 drives that speeds increase dramatically. That being said, an M.2 drive has other advantages even if the speed is the same, namely elegance and simplicity in terms of installation. These drives require no cables and essentially take up no space in your system.

TeeJay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:25:11 PM »
I am hoping to put together one of these before the end of the year because I am sick of a noisy PC. Although I have build PCs before, it has been quite a while (a 486 was my last). I am thus out of date when it comes to assembling newer PCs. My problem is that an internal optical drive (DVD or Blu-Ray) is a necessity for me and I am willing to sacrifice a little noise. It is my understanding is that the Phanteks case has no access for one inside.

My question: Can I take the current build (and soon to be listed November build) and simply swap the Phanteks case for the previously recommended Nanoxia Deep Silence 3, which was last recommended in July) or will I have trouble with any of the changed components since July (Motherboard, Video Card, Memory & SSD) in the Nanoxia case? Also, is there a better option than the Nanoxia that supports at least one internal optical drive?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 09:44:04 PM »
I am hoping to put together one of these before the end of the year because I am sick of a noisy PC. Although I have build PCs before, it has been quite a while (a 486 was my last). I am thus out of date when it comes to assembling newer PCs. My problem is that an internal optical drive (DVD or Blu-Ray) is a necessity for me and I am willing to sacrifice a little noise. It is my understanding is that the Phanteks case has no access for one inside.

My question: Can I take the current build (and soon to be listed November build) and simply swap the Phanteks case for the previously recommended Nanoxia Deep Silence 3, which was last recommended in July) or will I have trouble with any of the changed components since July (Motherboard, Video Card, Memory & SSD) in the Nanoxia case? Also, is there a better option than the Nanoxia that supports at least one internal optical drive?

Welcome to the TBG Forum, TeeJay!

You could go with the Nanoxia Deep Silence 3, but it was dropped from the guide because it was unnecessarily large, due to space for a massive hard drive array that few people use anymore. If you need that space, then definitely feel free to go for the DS3. Otherwise, a nice, inexpensive option is the Corsair 100R Silent Edition used in the $1,000 PC Buyer's Guide.

The most impressive case in this price range, however, is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M. While it has a mesh front panel, which in theory lets through noise, the case uses ultra-quiet 140mm fans that move more air at lower RPMs than 120mm fans. It will be plenty quiet despite the lack of a solid front panel.

And wow, a 486? That was a while back! ;)

CalebD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 01:08:40 PM »
Hello,

Love the site. Just one question:

What is the difference in the Zotax GTX 1060 GPU that you recommend with this build, and the Gigabyte GTX 1060 that you recommend on your GPU review page for this price point? They seem relatively similar, however the pricing is different. Would love any and all input.

Thanks,

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 02:50:29 PM »
Hello,

Love the site. Just one question:

What is the difference in the Zotax GTX 1060 GPU that you recommend with this build, and the Gigabyte GTX 1060 that you recommend on your GPU review page for this price point? They seem relatively similar, however the pricing is different. Would love any and all input.

Thanks,

Thanks for the positive feedback and for the great question. I view these two cards as being essentially equivalent. And while the prices fluctuate, they are typically within $10 of each other. Therefore, choose whichever you like the style of more or is cheaper when you're ready to buy.  They'll perform identically.

There are cheaper models that will run louder and hotter, and there are a couple of models that will run cooler,  but with the GTX 1060, the added expense of these models just doesn't make sense, as the GPU runs so cool anyway. The guides therefore focus on models at $275 and under.

Kistrup

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 10:59:59 AM »
Hi there, first of all let me thank for a fantastic site, which I have followed for more than a year.
Me and my son have bought the parts for this silent Pc. The graphics is the Zotac from October, and the motherboard is the Gigabyte from December. Now here's the issue: when we turn on the power, all the fan are running, power button lights up, the yellow light by internet cable shines, but there's no connection to the monitor and no light response from keyboard,mouse and headset!
Do You have any idea to what is wrong?

Kistrup

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 11:07:42 AM »
Hi there, first of all let me thank for a fantastic site, which I have followed for more than a year.
Me and my son have bought the parts for this silent Pc. The graphics is the Zotac from October, and the motherboard is the Gigabyte from December. Now here's the issue: when we turn on the power, all the fan are running, power button lights up, the yellow light by internet cable shines, but there's no connection to the monitor and no light response from keyboard,mouse and headset!
Do You have any idea to what is wrong?

Kistrup

Welcome to the TBG forum, Kistrup!

I'm glad to hear that you and your son have built  up the Silent Gaming PC, and I'm pretty sure we can get it running with a few troubleshooting steps.

First of all, this is absolutely the most common issue that TBG readers post on the forum about, and every time, we're able to find the solution. So do not worry - you are not the first to have this problem!

OK, so here are the steps you should take:

(1) Unplug the system
(2) remove the video card entirely from the PC, and plug the monitor cable (HDMI or DVI) directly into the motherboard's video output.
(3) remove all memory sticks, and insert just ONE stick back into the motherboard, using the second slot to the right of the CPU. Make sure to apply sufficient pressure on the stick to fully engage the lock. DDR4 RAM sticks are surprisingly hard to seat correctly.
(4) Remove the 24-pin motherboard power cable and the 8-pin CPU cable from the motherboard, and then re-insert them to make sure they are fully connected.

Now, plug your system back into the wall and attempt to boot it up.

Hopefully, you will now see an image on the screen indicating that you don't have an operating system, but that is fine. You'll just need to install your system from the Windows Flash Drive at this point by shutting off the system, plugging in the flash drive, and powering back on.

Kistrup

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 11:02:29 AM »
Hi again Ari, we've followed the steps You suggested, but to no avail. Do You have another trick up your sleeve?

Kistrup

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »
Hi again Ari, we've followed the steps You suggested, but to no avail. Do You have another trick up your sleeve?

Kistrup

All right, at this point it's best if you confirm every component you're using in the system, as you mentioned you used parts from different editions of the guide. Also please list the monitor you're using as well as the type of cable (HDMI, DVI, or VGA).

I will say that the fact that the fans turn on but the keyboard and mouse lights do not suggests that this is not a monitor issue, but a failure to boot. That means the focus of trouble-shooting should be on the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and the power connections. These are the only parts that can cause a failure to boot when power is clearly on.

Kistrup

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 12:06:03 PM »
Ok here comes the list of components, we have put together:

Eclipse P400s
Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
EVGA 550 G2
Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 AMP
I5 6600K
Arctic Freezer i32
Crucial MX300 525 GB SSD
Corsair vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8 GB 3200 MHz
Monitor; Fujitsu LCD sl23t-1
HDMI cable (which functions with monitor on old pc)

That's it...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 12:39:24 PM »
Ok here comes the list of components, we have put together:

Eclipse P400s
Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
EVGA 550 G2
Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 AMP
I5 6600K
Arctic Freezer i32
Crucial MX300 525 GB SSD
Corsair vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8 GB 3200 MHz
Monitor; Fujitsu LCD sl23t-1
HDMI cable (which functions with monitor on old pc)

That's it...

The RAM you've chosen runs at a higher frequency that what was recommended in the guide, and while in theory it should work (at least by defaulting to DDR4-2133), other TBG readers have had trouble running DDR4-3200 RAM in lower-priced Z170 motherboard. DDR4-2666 was always the recommendation for this build, up until the new Kaby Lake platform arrived this month, as it can handle higher-frequency RAM more easily.

But like I said, there may be a way around this. I'd like you to try booting up with just one RAM stick, trying each slot of the motherboard in order from first to last. If the system fails to boot using a particular slot, shut down and try the other stick of RAM before you move on to the next slot.

What we're going to hope for here is that the combination of at least one slot and at least one of your two sticks of RAM will allow the system to boot.

Kistrup

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 01:30:21 PM »
Nope, no reaction whatsoever. I can see that the 2133 MHz RAM is supported, but it should be able to run the 3200 in OC, doesn't the motherboard adjust the frequency down to 2133 as default?
Otherwise I will have buy a new set of RAM.

Kistrup