Author Topic: The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build  (Read 5587 times)

Ginger

• View Profile
Re: The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2017, 05:07:13 PM »
Thank you for the quick response.

The guide you provided I did miss. Thank you for providing it. That clears up 90% of the confusion. As for the memory issue i will elaborate. I play a game called "Tera Rising" and with the game optimized through Gefore Experience it keeps giving me a message in game "Texture resolution has been reduced due to low memory". This is the only reason I was thinking about upgrading to more memory.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 05:30:24 PM »
Thank you for the quick response.

The guide you provided I did miss. Thank you for providing it. That clears up 90% of the confusion. As for the memory issue i will elaborate. I play a game called "Tera Rising" and with the game optimized through Gefore Experience it keeps giving me a message in game "Texture resolution has been reduced due to low memory". This is the only reason I was thinking about upgrading to more memory.

Glad to hear that the step-by-step guide was helpful!

As for your game, I'm betting that GeForce Experience is simply outputting an error regarding the amount of video RAM, not system RAM, that you have available. The requirements database for Tera, which was released in 2011, likely does not correctly assess the capabilities of your GTX 1070 8GB video card, which is much more powerful than any card that existed in 2011. I would recommend you manually set all settings to the highest they will go, as your system can max out that game without any issue.

Ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2017, 06:38:46 PM »
As far as In-game I still get the message but manually adjusting the settings to max with no auto optimization helped stabilize my FPS. Thank you for that advice....BUT

I am still having issues with that fan header hub extension that came with the case. I connect all fans (intake and exhaust) to that hub then take the Molex Cable and attach the 3 pin to the hub header  and the 4 pin to the motherboard and no fans turn on. I keep the 'CPU fan' to the 'CPU fan header' Any ideas why the molex is not powering the case fans?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
As far as In-game I still get the message but manually adjusting the settings to max with no auto optimization helped stabilize my FPS. Thank you for that advice....BUT

I am still having issues with that fan header hub extension that came with the case. I connect all fans (intake and exhaust) to that hub then take the Molex Cable and attach the 3 pin to the hub header  and the 4 pin to the motherboard and no fans turn on. I keep the 'CPU fan' to the 'CPU fan header' Any ideas why the molex is not powering the case fans?

You aren't setting that fan hub correctly. You can only power that hub directly from the power supply, so you need to connect the 4-pin molex connector to a molex power cable from the power supply. You cannot connect it to the motherboard. I'm actually not sure which "4 pin" you are referring to, as there is no 4-pin that can connect to the motherboard on that hub.

Ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 12:02:14 PM »
http://imgur.com/CTmDKQ1

http://imgur.com/xt1TPjs

Both of these connectors fit together. Are these the connectors that are used to connect that hub to the Power Supply?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2017, 01:41:29 PM »
http://imgur.com/CTmDKQ1

http://imgur.com/xt1TPjs

Both of these connectors fit together. Are these the connectors that are used to connect that hub to the Power Supply?

OK, now I understand your issue. This is NOT the right connector:  http://imgur.com/xt1TPjs

That is not designed to attach to the motherboard - in fact, I believe you pulled that from your power supply box, and it's actually a Berg connector, something totally different and not for use with this system. Please put it back in the box - it could cause damage if you connect it to your motherboard!

Your fan hub should look like this:

The Molex connector needs to be connected to the power supply using a modular peripherals power cable. There are no connections to the motherboard.

To understand why I do not recommend the use of this fan hub at all, you may want to read TBG's full review of the RL06.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:46:40 PM by Ari Altman »

Ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 02:06:09 PM »
AWESOME!!! I got the Intake fans working through the hub. One final question, Should I connect the exhaust fan to the hub or motherboard? Does that even matter?

P.S. Thank you for the awesome build and the help to get it running right. TBG #1
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 02:19:41 PM by Ginger »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2017, 02:28:08 PM »
AWESOME!!! I got the Intake fans working through the hub. One final question, Should I connect the exhaust fan to the hub or motherboard? Does that even matter?

P.S. Thank you for the awesome build and the help to get it running right. TBG #1

Glad you got it working!

Yes, you can attach the rear fan to the hub, but note that by attaching it to the motherboard, you retain automated control over its speed.

Ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2017, 04:46:39 PM »
I have noticed the LED Lights are brighter when connected to the fan hub but dim when connected to the motherboard. Is this normal?

Other than noise with the RL06 case fans due to the lack of fan control from the motherboard am I going to run into cooling issues or any other technical issues if I use the case mounted hub header extension for all fans but CPU and Overclock?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2017, 04:57:19 PM »
I have noticed the LED Lights are brighter when connected to the fan hub but dim when connected to the motherboard. Is this normal?

Other than noise with the RL06 case fans due to the lack of fan control from the motherboard am I going to run into cooling issues or any other technical issues if I use the case mounted hub header extension for all fans but CPU and Overclock?

It all has to do with the voltage being supplied. When connected to the fan hub, the fans are running at full speed, and the lights are being supplied maximum voltage. When connected to the motherboard, fan controls are in effect, which means the power being supplied is proportional to the temperature. This lowers the fan speed and dims the lights at lower speeds. You can override this by setting the fans to maximum RPM in the UEFI BIOS, although if that's really want you want, you might as well use the hub. You certainly won't run into cooling issues using the hub, as the fans will be at maximum. In fact, it's probably safer to use the hub as you're getting your overclock dialed in, as you'll know your case fans are providing as much airflow as possible.

Ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 07:52:50 PM »
Speaking of OC, I followed that guide and set all parameters to the specified amount for the test build. I am not sure if this build can achieve the overclock in the guide or if I did something wrong but when I booted with the parameters it failed and I had a hard time resetting to be able to boot. The only parameter I noticed I could not change was the "Adjusting Ring Frequency" where in the guide it read at 4200MHz whereas mine read 3900mhz.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 08:30:56 PM »
Speaking of OC, I followed that guide and set all parameters to the specified amount for the test build. I am not sure if this build can achieve the overclock in the guide or if I did something wrong but when I booted with the parameters it failed and I had a hard time resetting to be able to boot. The only parameter I noticed I could not change was the "Adjusting Ring Frequency" where in the guide it read at 4200MHz whereas mine read 3900mhz.

You're running a Core i5-7600K, whereas the 2017 High-End PC Assembly Guide used a Core i7-7700K. Typically, Core i5 processors cannot hit the same overclocks as Core i7 models. So what I'd recommend is that you set the core multiplier to 44x as a starting point. That's almost guaranteed to work without changing any other settings. And don't worry about the ring frequency - you actually can change that, but you shouldn't when conducting initial overclocking.

If 4.4GHz is stable for you after a few days of testing, you can try pushing up in 100MHz increments to 4.7GHz. I would not recommend you go any higher with the Arctic i32 cooler in your build.