Author Topic: New High-End Build for Home Office  (Read 1631 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New High-End Build for Home Office
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2017, 10:11:49 PM »
What's a good memory card reader?  I've seen some good ones.  Dad has my Sony Handycam Camcorder which uses memory stick PRO HG Duo card.  I've seen the one Sony released back in like 2010 which is USB 2.0 and it has good reviews but it's hard to find new.  Got any input in this area?

I know of great USB 3.0 readers for SD cards, but I doubt you'll find anything modern for the Sony memory stick. I assume you came across this USB 2.0 reader, and I'm betting that despite being released in 2009, it's the most up-to-date reader you'll find for that standard.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2017, 08:05:53 AM »
What's a good memory card reader?  I've seen some good ones.  Dad has my Sony Handycam Camcorder which uses memory stick PRO HG Duo card.  I've seen the one Sony released back in like 2010 which is USB 2.0 and it has good reviews but it's hard to find new.  Got any input in this area?

I know of great USB 3.0 readers for SD cards, but I doubt you'll find anything modern for the Sony memory stick. I assume you came across this USB 2.0 reader, and I'm betting that despite being released in 2009, it's the most up-to-date reader you'll find for that standard.

I mean it can be USB 3.0 just as long as it supports that specific card.  Doesn't matter to me. 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »
I believe this Sony USB 2.0 Reader is all you'll find that's compatible with the card you have. It is an obsolete format.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2017, 05:25:19 PM »
Well totally off topic but what do Sony camcorders and camcorders in general now use?  Just a different SD card format?  We bought this one in 2011 and it's 1080p, fluid, really good camera and clear image quality.  I guess if we bought another one in the future it'd be a 4k camcorder.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2017, 07:25:38 AM »
Well totally off topic but what do Sony camcorders and camcorders in general now use?  Just a different SD card format?  We bought this one in 2011 and it's 1080p, fluid, really good camera and clear image quality.  I guess if we bought another one in the future it'd be a 4k camcorder.

Sony has finally and thankfully given up its long-standing fight against memory standards, adopting the universal SD format for its current 4K Handycam.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:15:41 AM by Ari Altman »