Author Topic: What's compatible with the Silverstone RL06 case?  (Read 139 times)

Tfetterm

• View Profile
What's compatible with the Silverstone RL06 case?
« on: June 11, 2017, 07:04:29 AM »
Hey Ari,

Firstly, I just wanted to thank you for how exhaustive this site is! It's obvious how passionate you are about all this! Thank you for putting in the time and effort to make such thorough reviews and guides so that complete beginners like me are able to make sense of what is worth it out there!

My question is this: I'm looking to build a computer in the $1750 or $1800 range (hopefully being able to include the monitor in that price) that is able to play current games as well as keep up with the next few years worth of AAA games with minimal upgrades. After looking over your builds for April, May and June, I've compiled the following list:

CPU: i7 7700K Kaby Lake
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD3
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1
16GB Ram
SSD: Crucial MX300 1TB M.2
Power: EVGA Supernova G3 650W
Cooler: Cryorig H7 Cooler
Monitor: I plan on spending $100-150 on a cheaper monitor now and will upgrade later to at least a 2K monitor.

The problem that I'm concerned about is that I bought the Silverstone RL06 case (I'm a sucker for the gorgeous black on white form factor) and I'm wondering if 1. all these components are compatible and 2. if the case will keep all these items cool enough?

Also, do you think I should wait a couple months to see if there are any price cuts from the new i7 7700K X's being released before purchasing?

Thank you so much!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:31:20 AM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What's compatible with the Silverstone RL06 case?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 09:15:39 AM »
Good news, that will all work! In fact, for a long time, that's exactly what I ran in TBG's Kaby Lake test rig. Same CPU, same motherboard, same cooler, and same case! And given that the RL06 has better cooling than every case in its class, you'll be fine!

One item of note: the H7 cooler sells out constantly on Amazon due to its amazing performance at $35 (it's by far the best cooler you can get in its form factor). Just wait a few days and it will come back in stock.

The Kaby Lake X CPUs are being released for a different platform. They will be overpriced and will not bring prices down. In fact, based on specs alone, I'll never recommend them on this site. Look for some commentary on the site regarding this issue when Kaby Lake X launches.

One tip - you won't get any of the advantages of the powerful system you're building on a cheap 1080p/60Hz monitor. If it'll be more than a few months before you can get a 2K model, go for a 144Hz model, which will game a lot better. I recommend the ViewSonic XG2401 at $240. It's far superior to anything at $150 for gaming.

By the way, I really appreciate the positive feedback. I'd love to add it to the testimonial section on the homepage. Would you be willing to provide your first name and city/state? Feel free to use the forum private message feature if you'd like.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:32:39 AM by Ari Altman »

Tfetterm

• View Profile
Re: What's compatible with the Silverstone RL06 case?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 05:09:18 PM »
Sure!

My name's Tim and I'm in Greenville, SC. Thank you so much! I hope to start building very soon!