Author Topic: Noisy, smelly, otherwise annoying  (Read 115 times)

Langrenus

• View Profile
Noisy, smelly, otherwise annoying
« on: June 17, 2017, 02:11:34 PM »
Friday, June 16, 2017 – 8:20 AM
Since I just started keeping this journal after I placed my first parts order, I’ll add a few notes here about what went on up to this time. The idea to build a computer came to me a couple of months ago while I was deciding what kind of hobby I could adopt as an apartment dweller. Most of the things that appealed to me, such as woodworking, were not practical due to the limitations imposed upon people living in apartments. Finally, I realized that building a computer combined everything I love to do, without any limitations on my being able to do them. It isn't noisy, messy, or smelly, and the end product is not only something I can use, it is also a potential work of art, and something to take pride in. So beginning on about May 10, 2017, I came across a website called, The Tech Buyer’s Guru, which provides volumes of information to amateur computer builder’s, and from that moment on, I began planning this build, which I have tentatively named, Build 1776-7b. I began with one of their suggested builds, which I call, The Tech Buyer’s Guru – Build 1500. Gradually, I began personalizing my computer build more and more, in order to suit my desires, more than my needs. I started by upgrading the case from the SilverStone RL05BR-W ATX Case, to my selection of the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M PH-ES515PTG_BK Case. My original intention was to upgrade to the Phanteks Eclipse P400S PH-EC416PSTG_BK Case, but I needed the case to accommodate an internal optical drive, and the latter does not accept one. Both cases are very stylish, and feature a tempered glass panel on the case’s right side. In the end, the Enthoo costs about forty-dollars more than the Eclipse, but I feel I made the right choice.
The next series of choices I had to make had to do with the case fans, since the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M PH-ES515PTG_BK Case comes standard with two 140mm fans, but accepts up to five 140mm fans, (the Eclipse P400S uses 120mm fans) and I wanted to maximize cooling while also enhancing the appearance (LED fans in front) of the case. This turned into an agonizingly long consideration process, which ended up with my settling on five fans, the first two of which came with the case. One of my purchased fans electro-mechanically matches the two existing case fans, and the final two are going to be red LED fans, which will go in the front of the case. The existing fans are black housing with white blades. If the one I purchased turns out to be all black, I may wind up putting it in the back, with the two black housing with white bladed fans being placed on top. It would be just plain sloppy to put two visually mismatched fans next to one another, and I intend for this not to be a sloppy build. It’s obvious to me that I’m hardly creating anything. I am working with pre-assembled components, each in a sense, a marvel of modern production engineering in it’s own right. Each based upon years of specialized study and experience, from the 650 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA switching power supply, based originally on an inductive discharge ignition system invented by Charles F. Kettering and his company, Dayton Engineering Laboratories, a concept that was superceded by the simpler, although less efficient, capacitive discharge ignition system, only to be superceded once more by Mr. Kettering’s original idea (electronic ignition) many years later, when technology finally caught up with the genius that spawned it. From that, to the central processing unit, to the graphics processing unit, having it’s seemingly untraceable analog origin going back to Philo T. Farnsworth, boy genious, Mormon farmer, who came up with the idea of electron-beam scanning combined with flyback horizontal retrace while plowing his fathers farm fields in Utah. Everything I am doing here has it’s origins with people who questioned the world around them, and took their cues from what they observed in front of them. Not a single creator in their company. Just observers, who took things in with their minds, and put things out with their hands. That, after all, is all I hope to do here.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Noisy, smelly, otherwise annoying
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 02:18:10 PM »
Cheers on an insightful entry here, Langrenus, although perhaps the title would be more appropriately phrased as "Not... noisy, smelly, or otherwise annoying"!

Langrenus

• View Profile
Re: Noisy, smelly, otherwise annoying
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 01:08:29 PM »
Sorry... That was in poor taste.