Author Topic: TBG's Guide to Setting Up A Solid-State Drive  (Read 8734 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
TBG's Guide to Setting Up A Solid-State Drive
« on: March 03, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »
Here's the thread to discuss the article "Setting Up A Solid-State Drive" on The Tech Buyer's Guru.

The original article can be found here:

http://techbuyersguru.com/SSDguide.php
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:47:02 AM by Ari Altman »

Craig

• View Profile
Re: TBG's Guide to Setting Up A Solid-State Drive
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 01:42:09 PM »
M.2 SSD as boot disk issue

On a new build with Asus x99 Pro, Samsung 256bg M.2, GTX980Ti -  I loaded Win10 successfully and stressed tested the PC for a few days and all was well. Then I added a hard drive and now I get the black screen of death after a brief window's loading screen. Also noted that the resolution is very low. Code on mobo is AA, had default bios settings and changed the fast boot to disabled then I unplugged the hard drive and same deal, I get the windows logo with the loading circle then drops to black screen.   I will try to fix/reload the OS via USB as a last resort.

Was wondering if you have experienced this or have any ideas on how to proceed.  It seems others have had a similar black screen for various reasons (usually after a Windows upgrade) but this is a fresh OS load.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »
M.2 SSD as boot disk issue

On a new build with Asus x99 Pro, Samsung 256bg M.2, GTX980Ti -  I loaded Win10 successfully and stressed tested the PC for a few days and all was well. Then I added a hard drive and now I get the black screen of death after a brief window's loading screen. Also noted that the resolution is very low. Code on mobo is AA, had default bios settings and changed the fast boot to disabled then I unplugged the hard drive and same deal, I get the windows logo with the loading circle then drops to black screen.   I will try to fix/reload the OS via USB as a last resort.

Was wondering if you have experienced this or have any ideas on how to proceed.  It seems others have had a similar black screen for various reasons (usually after a Windows upgrade) but this is a fresh OS load.

It seems to me this is an issue related to the hard drive, not the SSD. Can you provide the exact model number of the SSD?

Also, you say you added the hard drive. How far did you get in the process? Did you ever see it mounted in Windows? Will the system boot if you remove it from the PC?

The first trouble-shooting stem I'd recommend is to remove the hard drive while the system is unplugged, then power the PC up and go into the UEFI in order to reset it to the factory default (there's an option for called optimized settings I believe), and then see if you can get into Windows.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 03:05:15 PM »
Hi Ari,

First boot after plugging in the HD, it did the black screen deal, it never even got to the password screen of windows (almost like it lost the graphics card drivers).  I then rebooted and checked the bios and all drives including the new hard drive showed correctly. Tried restart, and same black screen. I then removed the hard drive and set Bios to default and no change (it loads the bios then the windows logo then the screen flickers and goes black.  If I leave it long enough sometimes it comes up with a Windows did not load properly screen asking if I want to restart or trouble shoot.  If I trouble shoot it just wants to run windows off the DVD drive and if I do that is says the M.2 SSD is locked and can't make changes. (guessing it can only be run via the usb)

The M.2 is a Samsung model MZ-VPV2560  SM951 256gb. 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »
Hi Ari,

First boot after plugging in the HD, it did the black screen deal, it never even got to the password screen of windows (almost like it lost the graphics card drivers).  I then rebooted and checked the bios and all drives including the new hard drive showed correctly. Tried restart, and same black screen. I then removed the hard drive and set Bios to default and no change (it loads the bios then the windows logo then the screen flickers and goes black.  If I leave it long enough sometimes it comes up with a Windows did not load properly screen asking if I want to restart or trouble shoot.  If I trouble shoot it just wants to run windows off the DVD drive and if I do that is says the M.2 SSD is locked and can't make changes. (guessing it can only be run via the usb)

The M.2 is a Samsung model MZ-VPV2560  SM951 256gb.

PCIe-based drives can be finicky. I have the Samsung SM951 256GB, which used AHCI, and have indeed had issues when my Asus X99-Pro motherboard settings weren't quite right. It appears you have the NVMe version. Welcome to the bleeding edge.

For now ditch the hard drive. Having it connected will only complicate matters. Now flash to the latest Asus UEFI, as the board was released before NVMe existed at retail.

There are a few settings to check out, most notably CSM, which can be enabled and disabled. The fact that you're running an NVMe drive and then added an AHCI drive likely confused the system and forced it to change a setting automatically. You may need to reinstall Windows with both drives attached (using a flash drive, of course, as installing Windows from DVD to a PCIe drive is a no-no).

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 09:11:18 AM »
Good point on the NVMe drivers issue! 

I flashed the bios up to the latest version. Quick note on that process, the bios rejected two flash sticks before I found one it liked, so if anyone gets a message from the bios flash process saying that the .cab file is not usable or a proper bios file, just find an older flash stick and copy the .cab to it and no need to rename it like you used to have to do on the older x99 boards.

So after updating the bios, I tried to restart and it did the same black screen.  >:(

I then disconnected all drives and proceeded to do a fresh install of Windows 10 to the M.2.  I deleted all previous partitions in the process. This worked, no more black screen of death.  Then I proceeded to add 4 SSDs and 2 old hard drives (all one at a time) and all went well. Hopefully it was just a bios driver issue and is gone for good.

So not exactly sure what the issue was but I appreciate the help and love your site! 

By the way, I ran 3DMark and it came back saying the PC results were in the top 99% of all results submitted to the site.  I have not even overclocked it yet. ;D

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 09:30:28 AM »
Well, I'm glad something worked out. Too bad it wasn't as easy as flashing the UEFI (which apparently wasn't even that easy itself, but at least you got the newest version on there).

What did you end up choosing in terms of components? One or two GTX 980 Ti cards? I'd love to see your full component list!

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 08:44:20 PM »
Ended up with the following:

• 64-bit Windows 10
  • Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3
  • Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CW-9060021-WW
  • ASUSTeK X99-PRO/USB 3.1
  • Samsung SM951 256GB (NVMe) MZVPV256HDGL-00000 Gen3 M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4 256G (for the OS, Windows boots faster than the bios)
  • 1 x EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C15Q-16GRK
  • Corsair CC-9011078-WW 750D Airflow Edition Black Computer Case
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 PS 80+ PLATINUM, 1000W ECO Mode
  • PNY CS2211 480 GB 2.5 SATA
  • 2 x SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE256BW
  • plus a couple 1T harddrives
linked up to 3 1600x1200 Dell UltraSharp monitors using 3 display ports
3DMark score of 30304 on Cloud Gate 1.1 (no over clocking)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 09:26:17 PM »
Ended up with the following:

• 64-bit Windows 10
  • Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3
  • Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CW-9060021-WW
  • ASUSTeK X99-PRO/USB 3.1
  • Samsung SM951 256GB (NVMe) MZVPV256HDGL-00000 Gen3 M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4 256G (for the OS, Windows boots faster than the bios)
  • 1 x EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C15Q-16GRK
  • Corsair CC-9011078-WW 750D Airflow Edition Black Computer Case
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 PS 80+ PLATINUM, 1000W ECO Mode
  • PNY CS2211 480 GB 2.5 SATA
  • 2 x SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE256BW
  • plus a couple 1T harddrives
linked up to 3 1600x1200 Dell UltraSharp monitors using 3 display ports
3DMark score of 30304 on Cloud Gate 1.1 (no over clocking)

That's quite a build. Glad you got it up and running!

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 03:02:56 PM »
Any suggestions/tips for software that tests M.2 and SSD read/write speeds?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 05:31:33 PM »
Any suggestions/tips for software that tests M.2 and SSD read/write speeds?

AS SSD or Crystal Disk Mark, the latter which is unfortunately loaded with adware.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 11:19:10 PM »
AS SSD resulted in a read score for seq of 1769.85 MB/s and write of 30.88 MB/s, that sounds slow to me for an M.2.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 04:14:27 AM »
AS SSD resulted in a read score for seq of 1769.85 MB/s and write of 30.88 MB/s, that sounds slow to me for an M.2.

That read speed is spot on, but the write speed it's way off. Should be close to 1200MB/s. This could be a UEFI or driver issue.

But it seems it might be a problem with AS SSD:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1551060/official-samsung-sm951-owners-club/240

Download Samsung Magician and use its performance test to get another data point.
Out of curiosity, what do your other SSDs score?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:29:07 AM by Ari Altman »

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 08:39:13 PM »
Here are the results for Samsung Magician:
SSD 850 PRO: Seq Read: 4010 Seq Write: 3163
M.2: Seq Read: 2219 Seq Write:1282

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 09:07:23 PM »
Here are the results for Samsung Magician:
SSD 850 PRO: Seq Read: 4010 Seq Write: 3163
M.2: Seq Read: 2219 Seq Write:1282

Your M.2 drive is working perfectly. I didn't know AS SSD would have trouble handling it. I'll now recommend Samsung Magician for benching the drive.

Your 850 Pro has RAPID mode caching turned on. Those aren't real-world numbers, and TBG doesn't use RAPID on any of its Samsung drives. You can read more about RAPID here. It will score about 550/500 with RAPID turned off, and that is all it can achieve in real-world use.