Author Topic: TBG's review of the SilverStone GD09 ATX HTPC Case  (Read 352 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
TBG's review of the SilverStone GD09 ATX HTPC Case
« on: May 11, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »
Comments or questions on TBG's review of the SilverStone GD09 ATX HTPC Case? Post them here!

dpluigi

• View Profile
Re: TBG's review of the SilverStone GD09 ATX HTPC Case
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:18:06 AM »
Ari,

This is a great case and I really like the look and layout - so far my HTPC is very quiet.  Plenty of space for future upgrade, server drives and graphic cards for 4K when the time comes.  The Noctua NH-L9x65 CPU cooler is holding up quietly with the i7-7700 cpu.

I just looked yesterday evening into the installation of  a 3.5" Seagate Baraccuda HDD under the Optical drive.  It looks like the regular (short) screws are too small to secure the 3.5" HDD drive from the sides.  Note that I placed the Optical drive in place already and this drive come in second.

Aren't longer screws needed here and were they provided in the pack?   I mixed up all the hardware between the MSI Z270 Carbon Pro motherboard and the case. There is a longer screw which is referenced as SCREW - PAN - 4 X 4.8H - 6 - 32 X 3.4 - NI in the manual, but it is looks too long unless a spacer is used.

Also, the case came with anti vibrating ring (referenced as SHOCK TANT - RING - YEL - GRAY in teh manual).  Are these rings supposed to be used with the HDD as a spacer or do there need to fit in the holes on the mount flange?

On a side note, I thought it'd be plug and play to install a second Sata 3 HDD with Disk management, but the drive didn't show-up in teh Bios or Disk Management and the system would bootup so I'll look into this issue later.  I wonder the Sata port number / order matters for the primary boot m.2 HDD drive (taking the place of Sata 1) and my second drive (i.e. which can't be connected on Sata 1, and is connected after the optical drive).

Thank you,
Donat
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:17:25 PM by dpluigi »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TBG's review of the SilverStone GD09 ATX HTPC Case
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 10:22:38 AM »
Donat,

As it turns out, I was pretty confused by the two issues you raised about hard drive mounting as well. The correct screws did indeed come with the case, so you'll need to dig through the box to find them. The GD09 manual could have been a bit clearer in this regard, as multiple screws are listed for hard drive mounting.

For direct mounting the drives, you need to use "SCREW - I - 6 - 32 X 5 - BK". There's also the option of using "SCREW - PAN - 4 X 4.8H - 6 - 32 X 3.4 - NI," which I believe is designed to be used with the anti-vibration rings, although I didn't test them.

As for accessing your second hard drive, the first thing to try is a different SATA port. Perhaps you used the one that was disabled when you installed the M.2 drive. Also make sure it's properly connected with both data and power cables. As a test, you can pull the SATA data cable from your optical drive (which you know has been identified by Windows), and use it for the second hard drive. It should be seen immediately in the BIOS, but if it's not, you may have a hard drive issue.