Author Topic: Building a Supreme Dream HTPC Machine  (Read 441 times)

TekHed

• View Profile
Re: Building a Supreme Dream HTPC Machine
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2017, 09:52:11 PM »
Negative pressure?

The hv200i is the cpu cooler yes?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »
Negative pressure?

The hv200i is the cpu cooler yes?

You'll be using the Corsair Hydro H100i v2 CPU Cooler.

Negative pressure is caused by more air being drawn out than pushed in, and typically forces air to be drawn in through passive vents in the chassis. This can in turn lead to some dust buildup. I'm still debating in my head what the best setup would be for your needs. That's in part why I'd like you to check back in when you're ready to buy, as I can then really give some thought to the exact parts to use. I might prefer air-cooled GPUs in your situation, in part due to the relatively small size of the case (it's ATX, but it's not in the "super-tower" ATX class I recommend for the Supreme Dream Machine).

By the way, because this build is really getting to be pretty different from the standard Supreme Dream Machine, I'm going to split off this topic into a separate thread on the forum.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2017, 10:07:52 AM »
Ok, I'll look for the new topic. :)

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2017, 11:19:26 AM »
Subscribed. :)

Yeah I did some research and there seemed to be a lot if debate about pressure. Some say negative for getting the heat out, some say positive for the dust, which in my old house really is a major issue, especially on the floor where this will likely sit. I wish I had more space but I just do not!

Thanks for giving it more thought. Why are you recommending a different cpu cooler than the dream one? And didn't you just say liquid is categorically better?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2017, 11:29:47 AM »
Subscribed. :)

Yeah I did some research and there seemed to be a lot if debate about pressure. Some say negative for getting the heat out, some say positive for the dust, which in my old house really is a major issue, especially on the floor where this will likely sit. I wish I had more space but I just do not!

Thanks for giving it more thought. Why are you recommending a different cpu cooler than the dream one? And didn't you just say liquid is categorically better?

The semi-custom cooler in the Supreme guide may not fit in this case, which is why I'm recommending a different one.

And yes, liquid cooling is categorically better from a performance point of view. From the point of view of a builder and end-user, however, it is not. It's much harder to install, especially in the setup you are considering with three radiators in a small space, and typically much louder as well. In fact, this system will VERY loud with three pumps in it. If you need that last 1% of performance, then you go liquid, but it has very significant downsides.

Like I said, I'm giving it some more thought.  ;)

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »
Oh wow. I thought liquid would be less noisy than a bunch of fans.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2017, 11:41:08 AM »
Oh wow. I thought liquid would be less noisy than a bunch of fans.

Nope, still requires just as many fans, if not more. And it's the pump that's really loud.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
You might be interested in my initial impressions on watching 4K HDR content on the LG 65" C6P: http://techbuyersguru.com/forum/index.php?topic=386.msg4061#msg4061

To cut to the chase, this is why I make recommendations regarding cutting-edge tech based on my own reviews, not those of other review sites.