Author Topic: TBG's Review of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition  (Read 345 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Questions or comments regarding TBG's review of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition? Post them here!

chris p

• View Profile
Re: TBG's Review of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 05:44:43 AM »
Hi TBG. FYI your my go to site for reviews! I recently built a PC based on your Ultimate Gaming PC. I'm impressed with you guys.
Could you explain your decision to use a freesync display for the test bed in this review? Also might you have an idea when we may see the ASUS PG27UQ? Thanks Guys!   

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 08:09:41 AM »
Hi TBG. FYI your my go to site for reviews! I recently built a PC based on your Ultimate Gaming PC. I'm impressed with you guys.
Could you explain your decision to use a freesync display for the test bed in this review? Also might you have an idea when we may see the ASUS PG27UQ? Thanks Guys!

Welcome to the TBG Forum, Chris P. Glad to hear you like your system and TBG's reviews!

So you have a good question there - the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB was tested on an LG 27UD68 4K monitor, which is a Freesync model rather than a G-Sync model like the Asus ROG Swift PG27AQ. For benchmarking purposes, the use of G-Sync actually isn't required. We have a G-Sync equipped 1440p monitor that we use for testing the effectiveness of G-Sync on various GeForce cards, but for 4K benchmarking, it really came down to a matter of expense. 4K G-Sync monitors are about twice as expensive, yet don't offer any greater quality, just GeForce compatibility. And with a limited 40-60fps sync range, they aren't really fast enough for a 1080 Ti anyway (it averaged 63fps in the review, which means it would almost always be out of sync).

I've tested the LG Freesync display with a Radeon Fury card, and it works very well to smooth out motion between 40-60fps, but until 4K 144Hz monitors hit the market, 4K G-Sync isn't a must-have feature for a high-end GeForce setup. Both Acer and Asus have announced 27" 4K 144Hz HDR monitors using the same AU Optronics panel, and these monitors will most definitely be ideal for serious gamers, but with rumored prices of $1,500+ and a release date of Q3 at the earliest, they're just a dream for now, and an expensive one at that!

Abowman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 10:29:20 AM »
Any chance you'll be picking up a couple different aftermarket cards to test? I think it'll be interesting to see which brands are actually worth the price premium over the FE cards.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:33:55 AM »
Any chance you'll be picking up a couple different aftermarket cards to test? I think it'll be interesting to see which brands are actually worth the price premium over the FE cards.

I considered that, but the cost involved is really prohibitive. TBG doesn't request, nor does it receive, free video cards, so everything has to be purchased at retail.

That being said, I do have a second 1080 Ti FE on the way, and so a 1080 Ti SLI article will certainly be appearing on TBG in the near future. Hopefully that will be nearly as interesting, and something you won't see on many other sites!

Abowman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 11:43:49 AM »
That should be awesome! 1080 Ti SLI will be quite the setup :D I was more wondering if you were going to test nVidia's claim that removing the dvi port actually helped with temperature at all. I just think it'll be interesting to see if the open fan cards end up being better (like with the 1060, 1070, 1080) or if removing the dvi port actually makes the blower cards makes them perform equally or close to it. 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 01:49:41 PM »
That should be awesome! 1080 Ti SLI will be quite the setup :D I was more wondering if you were going to test nVidia's claim that removing the dvi port actually helped with temperature at all. I just think it'll be interesting to see if the open fan cards end up being better (like with the 1060, 1070, 1080) or if removing the dvi port actually makes the blower cards makes them perform equally or close to it.

Yes, indeed, 1080 Ti SLI will be the definition of overkill.

As for the removal of the DVI port, I could certainly tell that the 1080 Ti FE was running quite a bit cooler than the Titan X Pascal despite providing equivalent performance. In part this is because it runs at lower wattage, but I wouldn't be surprised if the modified cooler helps as well. The larger exhaust is only part of the update; the card also has additional MOSFETs to improve efficiency, which may be why it draws less power (and runs cooler).

By the way, if I sense enough interest from readers, I'll be mod'ing one of my 1080 Ti cards with EVGA's Hybrid 1080 ti liquid cooler once it hits the market, which should provide a glimpse of what the 1080 Ti GPU can do when temperature is not a constraint.