Author Topic: $2500 extreme 4k build altered  (Read 335 times)

taylormadezz

• View Profile
$2500 extreme 4k build altered
« on: April 18, 2017, 04:31:24 AM »
Hi everyone, first time poster here. I need some advice on the extreme 4k build. I want the extreme gaming capability but i don't play many different games so i don't need the secondary ssd. what i do need is room for an optical drive and then a mechanical hd instead of the secondary ssd. so basically i need a case recommendation that will fit it all. any advice will be much appreciated!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: $2500 extreme 4k build altered
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 08:51:48 AM »
Hi everyone, first time poster here. I need some advice on the extreme 4k build. I want the extreme gaming capability but i don't play many different games so i don't need the secondary ssd. what i do need is room for an optical drive and then a mechanical hd instead of the secondary ssd. so basically i need a case recommendation that will fit it all. any advice will be much appreciated!

Welcome to the TBG Forum, taylormadezz!

Any high-end case will have room for a mechanical hard drive, but as you discovered, the SilverStone PM01 doesn't have space for an optical drive. As an alternative, go for the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, or Thermaltake Suppressor F31 TG. All are big enough to fit the components used in the $2,500 Build, so just pick based on whichever suits your style!

taylormadezz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply! i have one more question, with the add on graphics card as well as the on board card, would i have dual monitor capability? obv not for gaming, but for normal tasks. Thanks again

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply! i have one more question, with the add on graphics card as well as the on board card, would i have dual monitor capability? obv not for gaming, but for normal tasks. Thanks again

You wouldn't use the graphics card and onboard video at the same time, but you will have four outputs on the GTX 1080 Ti, so you can definitely do dual-monitor using two of those four output.

taylormadezz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 01:48:02 PM »
ahh sorry, now i feel stupid, lol. one more question, last one i promise. i like the feel of playstation controllers can you recommend a good controller for the pc?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »
I'm not sure about porting a Playstation controller over to the PC, but I can recommend the Xbox One controller for Windows, which I use, and which includes a Windows wireless receiver right in the box.

taylormadezz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 02:19:43 PM »
ok thanks for all the help, I think I'm all set now :)

taylormadezz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 06:32:53 AM »
I ended up going with the pm01 case after all, just got an external optical drive. i have everything set up except i'm a little confused by where to plug in the fan hub on the case that consolidates the 3 fans in the front of the case. should they just be connected to the psu and not to the motherboard? there is currently a cable from 3 pin to molex so that leads me to believe that is the intent, but then there is no control over fan speed and that isn't optimal correct?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 06:54:11 AM »
I ended up going with the pm01 case after all, just got an external optical drive. i have everything set up except i'm a little confused by where to plug in the fan hub on the case that consolidates the 3 fans in the front of the case. should they just be connected to the psu and not to the motherboard? there is currently a cable from 3 pin to molex so that leads me to believe that is the intent, but then there is no control over fan speed and that isn't optimal correct?

You've got that all correct. There is no fan control if you use the hub, so in the SilverStone PM01 chassis that TBG uses for its ultra-high-end benchmarking system, all fans are run through the motherboard.

taylormadezz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 07:20:48 AM »
So if i wanted to run all of the fans from the mother board where would i connect them all on the asus z270e? Also the fan in the back of the case connects to the cha_fan right?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 08:06:52 AM »
So if i wanted to run all of the fans from the mother board where would i connect them all on the asus z270e? Also the fan in the back of the case connects to the cha_fan right?

The Asus Z270E actually has a lot of fan headers: six! That's very uncommon in its price range. But as with most modern motherboard, the Z270E is marketed to appeal to users of liquid cooling, so some of these fan headers are given "special" names. Here they are:

1 x CPU Fan connector(s)
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s)
2 x Chassis Fan connector(s)
1 x High AMP Fan header (4-pin)
1 x AIO PUMP Header

In past generations, these would simply be labeled as CPU_Fan and CHA_FAN 1 through 5, but now even the names are "tricked out"! The good news is you can use any of these for your case fans. If you have a liquid cooler, go ahead and use the AIO header for the pump power lead (the big difference with this header is that it can't be set to zero RPM, which is important for pump use). You can use CPU OPT for the rear fan, and the Chassis Fan and High AMP Fan headers for the front fans.

taylormadezz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 09:01:18 AM »
Thank you that helps a lot!