Author Topic: New Build and Monitor  (Read 606 times)

rraisley

• View Profile
Re: New Build and Monitor
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »
Oh, wow, what a difference. I now have screens similar to yours, with a whole lot of good information, and it actually /works/! When starting, it told me an update was available, but I'm afraid to update, as I might end up with the crap I downloaded from the web site. I'm happy.

If I turn the fans on max, I can just barely hear them. Anyhow, all is good. Thanks again, Ari, for bearing with me through this. You've been great!

rraisley

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 09:59:40 PM »
Not only low/no noise, but low power consumption too. As I'm writing this, my new PC is drawing only a total of 43 watts, plus another 23 watts for the monitor. That's power output from my APC UPS into the PC and monitor. Very efficient for normal (non-gaming) operation. I'd been slightly concerned about the 550 W power supply, and almost upped it to 600 or 650 W, but I'm glad I didn't. Oh, and my processor is at 31-36 degrees C (although it has been only running about 20 minutes this time).

I am VERY pleased with this build.  ;D

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 10:20:03 PM »
I am very pleased to hear you're very pleased with your new PC!

Indeed, new PCs are so much more efficient at idle than PCs were just a few years ago, and vastly more efficient at all times versus systems more than six years old or so. A Core 2 Duo from 2008, for example, would idle at 3x the wattage of today's systems, and would draw 50W more at load, despite offering just a fraction of the computing power.

And yes, the power supply recommendations on this site take this all into account. ;)

rraisley

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 07:32:55 AM »
..Indeed, new PCs are so much more efficient at idle than PCs were just a few years ago, and vastly more efficient at all times versus systems more than six years old or so.
Yeah, my previous PC would routinely draw 250-275 watts, and I truly expected this to be the same, what with the 'K' processor and high end video.

Quite a few years ago, I spec'd out new $7,000 workstations for CAD use in Engineering at work. It included 750 watt power supplies, and since I was sure the units wouldn't draw more than half that most of the time, got new UPS units also rated at 750 watts. THEY DREW 750 WATTS ALL THE TIME! On start up, idle, etc. the stupid power supplies always, somehow, drew their maximum rated power. What a silly thing to happen! Anyhow, it's great that is not the case any more.