Author Topic: EVGA 1080Ti  (Read 1002 times)

LongJon

• View Profile
Re: EVGA 1080Ti
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 01:15:48 PM »
Yeah I'm not buying a $1000+ CPU 😂 So looks like that won't be getting upgraded until it makes more sense.  I do like that case you mentioned.  I'll probably go with that as well as 16 more GB of the same RAM I currently have. 

How big of a job is it to move all the components (as well as put in the new ram) over to a new case?

Also how's the 1080Ti review coming? 

I like that the case you recommended has like a handle to use when transporting it. 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 01:30:32 PM »
Yeah I'm not buying a $1000+ CPU 😂 So looks like that won't be getting upgraded until it makes more sense.  I do like that case you mentioned.  I'll probably go with that as well as 16 more GB of the same RAM I currently have. 

How big of a job is it to move all the components (as well as put in the new ram) over to a new case?

I like that the case you recommended has like a handle to use when transporting it.

Switching over to a new case really isn't that hard, it's just time-consuming. The good news is that you'll don't need to update any drivers or software, you just need to unplug a lot of stuff. The new case will come with all the screws you need, but you'll need to make sure not to lose track of the power supply cables or SATA data cables in the process of switching over. You'll also want to make sure you grab the little Asus Q-connector that assists in attaching the front panel connector leads (power, reset, drive activity, etc.). You'll want to use it to connect the new case's leads. And adding RAM is really easy, as long as you make sure to fully insert the sticks. Remember that you're not actually removing your old sticks - just leave those in during the upgrade.

The 1080 Ti review is coming along - I've had some performance anomalies with my 1080 Ti, where it was significantly underperforming the Titan X Pascal, and I'm looking into potential causes. In the meantime, I've switched over to a different benchmarking system just in case that was the reason. Right now I'm benching the 980 Ti for a baseline comparison, and will then complete my 1080 Ti benchmarking. Review will probably be up early next week. I've been busy on a number of other projects, including a system modding article featuring a number of RGB solutions from Thermaltake, SilverStone, Gigabyte, and Corsair.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 02:34:24 PM »
Back in action over here. Somehow my Windows 10 installation had become corrupted, and specifically the DirectX files. It was causing extreme CPU usage in games that in turn throttled GPUs, including the 1080 Ti and 1080 I was benchmarking with. I'll have the 1080 Ti review up within a few days.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 11:10:18 AM »

The GTX 1080 Ti review is now live. Enjoy!

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 06:09:13 PM »
Great review.  Read it all.  I can't wait to get my card.  I ordered the MasterCase Maker and another 4x4 kit of RAM today.  Both should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday this week.  I'll just wait until I get my new video card in about weeks and then take everything up to James. 

Then it's time for me to sell my 980 You on eBay! I've noticed the prices are pretty high for them as opposed to the last few months.  Is it because it is discontinued now?  Lot of used cards going for $350-400.

Also, is there a market/site/place that exists in the online world where people sell their towers with all their components included?  Just curious one day years from now when i buy a new PC and want to start all over if I'll have that option or sell everything individually or whatever.

Let me know when you find some reviews of the 1080Ti FTW3.. I've been looking but haven't found any yet.What's

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 10:36:17 PM »
In my experience, it's pretty hard to sell complete PCs unless you do it in a local for sale forum like Craiglist. Tech forums aren't going to be that effective because they're typically drawing readers from all over the place, and you most definitely do not want to ship a complete system, due to cost and the likelihood of damage. You'd definitely get more by parting it out, at least in theory, but of course some parts will end up being very hard to sell (like old motherboards).

As for the price of used 980 Ti cards, you may be seeing those prices on Ebay, and they may even be selling for those prices, but I wouldn't count on finding a lot of buyers willing to pay that amount. That's as much as new 1070s are selling for. Basically, feel free to post it at that level, but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't sell... just lower the price to around $300 or so.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 12:08:40 AM »
Yeah, having bought the 1070 for my parent's build that surprised me too.  If I can get $300 for it, I'll be satisfied.  Sorry for all the typos I was typing that from my Galaxy S8+.  Not used to how the predictive text works on that yet.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 02:05:42 PM »
I see EVGA just announced the 1080 To SC2 Hybrid for $810.  I originally wanted a hybrid.. IDK if I should stick with my FTW3 or switch to the Hybrid.  What do you Think?  It gets pretty hot at my house and in Alabama in general.  Just wondering if should consider the Hybrid or not? When will it be available?  I have one more week until B&H ships my FTW3...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 02:17:50 PM »
I see EVGA just announced the 1080 To SC2 Hybrid for $810.  I originally wanted a hybrid.. IDK if I should stick with my FTW3 or switch to the Hybrid.  What do you Think?  It gets pretty hot at my house and in Alabama in general.  Just wondering if should consider the Hybrid or not? When will it be available?  I have one more week until B&H ships my FTW3...

Both products will be great, but I'd stick with the FTW3, and here's why:

(1) No one knows when the Hybrid will arrive, but it will certainly be after the FTW3.
(2) The FTW3 is cheaper and actually offers a better board, as detailed on the EVGA website. It has more power, more phases, and RGB lighting.
(3) While the Hybrid will certainly provide lower temperatures, they are really just for bragging rights. The FTW3 will run so cool (likely around 65C) that there will be almost no value to pushing the temps lower. At most you might pick up an extra bin (13MHz), but you'll also be power limited on the Hybrid model. For SLI, yes, the Hybrid has advantages, but for a single-card, I'd go with air-cooled.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 02:29:20 PM »

Both products will be great, but I'd stick with the FTW3, and here's why:

(1) No one knows when the Hybrid will arrive, but it will certainly be after the FTW3.
(2) The FTW3 is cheaper and actually offers a better board, as detailed on the EVGA website. It has more power, more phases, and RGB lighting.
(3) While the Hybrid will certainly provide lower temperatures, they are really just for bragging rights. The FTW3 will run so cool (likely around 65C) that there will be almost no value to pushing the temps lower. At most you might pick up an extra bin (13MHz), but you'll also be power limited on the Hybrid model. For SLI, yes, the Hybrid has advantages, but for a single-card, I'd go with air-cooled.

Okay thanks for the response.  I can't wait much longer anyways lol.  My RAM and new cawe have both arrived.  I guess if B&H gets the FTW3 on the 11th I should get mine sometime around the 15th ish or that week.  2 more weeks!

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 12:55:18 PM »
I've read some reviews about how loud 1080 Ti models seem to be.. is this true?  I'm going to get one either way but some people act like you won't be able to hear yourself think without a headset on lol.  Just wondering if it's something I'll annoyingly notice immediately vs my 980Ti Hybrid? 

Does the sound of the 1080Ti go for all models of the card (assuming it's as loud as some say)?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 01:55:30 PM »
I've read some reviews about how loud 1080 Ti models seem to be.. is this true?  I'm going to get one either way but some people act like you won't be able to hear yourself think without a headset on lol.  Just wondering if it's something I'll annoyingly notice immediately vs my 980Ti Hybrid? 

Does the sound of the 1080Ti go for all models of the card (assuming it's as loud as some say)?

That's all a bunch of bologna.

I've gamed plenty with the 1080 Ti FE, and it's loud, but not obnoxious. Any other version of the 1080 Ti will be even quieter, and the FTW you ordered will be perfect.

Just wait for it to arrive and you'll see it will be great.  ;)

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 05:40:39 PM »
When transferring from one case to another.. would the data need to be backed up before hand as a precaution or not since it's just taking a hard drive or 2 out of one case and into another?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 08:53:23 PM »
Luckily, while changing cases is very labor intensive, it doesn't affect your system at all, and no data will be changed or lost. The one thing you should probably do is mark which port each drive is connected to with a piece of tape and use the same ports when you rebuild the system in the new case. And pay close attention to all the power supply connections, as you'll need to plug them all back in.

But to be clear, no matter what you do, you won't lose data.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »
Been waiting on today for a month (supposed to arrive at B&H today) then ship to me on the 11th.  Got an email stating it's been delayed until the 17th.  Let me know if you hear or know of any other places selling the FTW3.  I'm thinking about ordering one from Amazon or another places that have them on backorder then whichever plays gets them and ships me mine first, cancelling the other pre orders.  Probably should have done that before now.  I probably should just be more patient lol but I'm hoping there won't be yet another backorder after the 17th.