Author Topic: 4.5 Yr old pc, just noticed compatibility error on parts picker (ram vs cpu)  (Read 287 times)

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
Good afternoon,
I have posted in another section on this forum on further upgrading my pc due to high temperatures.  I put the spec I wanted into pc parts picker and I got an odd discrepancy between my RAM and CPU.  I have used the PC for almost 5 years, could this be a reason for my high temperature?

RAM and CPU SPEC:
Intel Core i7 i7-3930K 3.20 GHz Processor - Socket R LGA-2011 - Hexa-core
Patriot Memory Viper Xtreme 16GB DDR3 SDRAM (4 sticks of 4gb) 1600 MHz DDR3-1600/PC3-12800 - Non-ECC - Unbuffered - 240-pin DIMM

Parts picker:
The Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Sandy Bridge-E CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

Would like some clarification on this potential problem.  Should I order different RAM? Many thanks!

regards,
Nikola

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
That is high voltage RAM, and while you can generally run RAM at 1.65V without damaging Sandy Bridge components, that happens to be high voltage RAM that isn't particularly fast. It an older DDR3 product, and at the time it was sold, higher voltage may have been necessary to run DDR4-1600 at tighter timings, as that kit does.

But you absolutely should not buy new DDR3 RAM at this point. It is obsolete, overpriced, and cannot be used on any current system. I really don't think it's the cause of the problem anyway. PCPartPicker just spits out answers based on canned warnings, not based on any particular knowledge of the products.

I do want to let you know that your CPU will bottleneck a GTX 1080 significantly in modern games. I would not make the investment in that GPU unless you were willing to overclock the CPU to at least 4GHz. Another option would be to invest in a new platform, but obviously that will cost a great deal of money.

By the way, the Noctua fans can be raised to clear the tall heatsinks on the RAM. That isn't an issue.

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
Thanks again Ari,
You have given me a lot to think about.  Would it be a viable option to just stick to upgrading the case and cooler at the moment to solve my high temps, and then forging into another new build using the new case and noctua cooler?  With what you say, I am led to believe that any upgrades on my system have to have the cpu, gpu, and ram changed out.

Thank you very much,
regards,
Nikola

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
The Noctua CPU Cooler will definitely take care of your CPU temperature issues. You don't even need the new case. I'd probably wait on that for now. Makes more sense to change that when you're updating the CPU and motherboard (you'll need a new motherboard to update the CPU and RAM).

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
Ari,
Thanks again.  I guess I am getting a tad eager haha with the case.  It's just my silent 550D Corsair isn't suited for gaming and i'm concerned about airflow.  But I trust you.  The 750D airflow edition is on sale near me for around $150 hence my excitement to grab it while it is cheap and it is a great case for the future.  Would you recommend the Noctua NH D15 or the D15S?  And is their stock thermal sealant of great quality?  I have also been looking and if I do upgrade the cooler then I may be able to achieve OC speeds of 4.5 according to many forums out there which theoretically I could get a new gpu :).
I really appreciate your time in answering all my questions on this forum (on my other thread in the components section).

regards,
Nikola

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Ari,
Thanks again.  I guess I am getting a tad eager haha with the case.  It's just my silent 550D Corsair isn't suited for gaming and i'm concerned about airflow.  But I trust you.  The 750D airflow edition is on sale near me for around $150 hence my excitement to grab it while it is cheap and it is a great case for the future.  Would you recommend the Noctua NH D15 or the D15S?  And is their stock thermal sealant of great quality?  I have also been looking and if I do upgrade the cooler then I may be able to achieve OC speeds of 4.5 according to many forums out there which theoretically I could get a new gpu :).
I really appreciate your time in answering all my questions on this forum (on my other thread in the components section).

regards,
Nikola

The 750D Airflow will be on sale again - don't worry! I think the Noctua NH-D15 is probably best for your system and your goals. It's a bit more powerful, and a bit louder, than the D15S. I've reviewed both.

I personally wouldn't recommend changing a case until you're ready to upgrade the entire system. You will essentially be rebuilding the system from scratch to move it to a new case, which is a lot of work that I don't think will benefit you nearly as much as just upgrading the cooler.

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
Ari,
I thank you very much for the information you have shared with me.  As a person getting back into the game and fiddling with pc's your advice has been top notch.  I think I will do as you say and buy the cooler, install it and maybe fiddle around with some overclocking.  As it stands on full load i am only getting 3500 mhz (witcher going over 80-90C temp) when I know it can easily push 4200 mhz.  Maybe my games will be better at that stage.  The cooler seems awesome and I know it will be able to transfer when I choose to upgrade the entire system.  Thanks again!

regards,
Nikola