Author Topic: Asus Strix Z270i  (Read 778 times)

Reyort

• View Profile
Asus Strix Z270i
« on: January 11, 2017, 03:37:49 AM »
Has anyone seen this thing? It is a pretty sweet looking board (layout wise).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:08:01 AM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Asus Strix Z270i
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 07:10:14 AM »
Has anyone seen this thing? It is a pretty sweet looking board (layout wise).

The top-end ITX board from Asus is always interesting. The issue in the past has been compatibility with other components, specifically coolers. I tend not to recommend the board because it could cause builders a lot of difficulty in some situations, and unless I actually tested each configuration, I couldn't guarantee it would work.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 09:58:07 AM by Ari Altman »

Reyort

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 09:42:57 AM »
I look forward to your review if you are planning on doing one. 

I was curious on what you thought about the location of the M.2 slot layout.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:05:38 AM »
I look forward to your review if you are planning on doing one. 

I was curious on what you thought about the location of the M.2 slot layout.

You know, I actually just pulled up the pics and specs from the Asus website. This board isn't available yet, but it looks like Asus has quit making its ROG ITX board a study of how many oversized components could be attached to a single ITX board, and is instead focused on making the it the best ITX board on the market. The M.2 slot placement is perfect, and will allow ITX builders to actually use high-end M.2 drives, which they could not before due to overheating. It even has an included heatsink. Note that it also has a rear-mounted M.2 slot, meaning you have two M.2 slots on a single ITX board, which is incredible, but that rear slot still generally shouldn't be used except in ITX cases with airflow behind the motherboard.

The only other Z270 ITX board with this placement comes from AsRock with its mid-range Z270M-ITX/ac, but it doesn't have a heatsink. Oddly, AsRock uses a conventional (bad) M.2 layout for its high-end Z270 Fatality board.

My big question on the Asus ROG Strix Z270i is where the chipset heatsink went. This is what would usually go where the M.2 slot is, and where it still is on just about every other ITX board. Maybe it's so efficient it doesn't need a heatsink! ;)

As for reviewing this new board, I'm still thinking about what sample build guides I'm going to publish for 2017. Considering a high-end system with a tempered glass case and a 7700K, as well as a new STX (ultra-small form factor) system using a dual-core chip. Not sure I'll be doing an ITX system unless a new case really strikes my fancy. Nothing caught my eye at CES last week, but more could be coming mid-year.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:09:34 PM by Ari Altman »

Reyort

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 01:01:56 PM »
From what I read and saw, the m.2 sits on top of the chipset.  The heat sink is like dual layered so the m.2 drive sits on top of the heat sink for the chipset.  You then have to screw on another heat sink on top of the M.2 drive.  Whether it is a good solution or not is something we will have to wait and see.  Definitely innovative and hopefully it works.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 01:52:29 PM »
From what I read and saw, the m.2 sits on top of the chipset.  The heat sink is like dual layered so the m.2 drive sits on top of the heat sink for the chipset.  You then have to screw on another heat sink on top of the M.2 drive.  Whether it is a good solution or not is something we will have to wait and see.  Definitely innovative and hopefully it works.

Very interesting, although I'd be a bit concerned that the M.2 drive could end up overheating in this configuration. We'll have to wait and see, and I'll definitely keep this board on my list of potential ITX boards to review. At this point, I'm only interested in boards with front-mounted M.2 slots, so that means this Asus board or the AsRock mid-range board.