Author Topic: Experts Please Help PC Problems with $2500 build!  (Read 4755 times)

LongJon

• View Profile
Re: Experts Please Help PC Problems with $2500 build!
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
Thanks.  Now trying to decide if I want to do SLi...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2017, 07:45:25 AM »
May want to hold off a bit. In my discussions with MSI yesterday at CES, they confirmed that the GTX 1080 ti does in fact exist, and it will be launched by Nvidia and board partners in the March timeframe. That would give you an opportunity to step up from your EVGA 1080.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »
Thanks I actually cancelled the purchase before I read this so I'm still in the market for the Ti.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2017, 09:57:22 AM »
Still going with what you heard for a March release for the 1080 Ti?  I've been trying to keep up with it.  Seems a lot of people listen to your input from what you said about the guy at the MSi booth haha. 

No problems at all for over 2 months.  Seems reinstalling the operating system did it.  I think I'm in the clear (knocks on wood). 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2017, 10:53:40 AM »
Still going with what you heard for a March release for the 1080 Ti?  I've been trying to keep up with it.  Seems a lot of people listen to your input from what you said about the guy at the MSi booth haha. 

No problems at all for over 2 months.  Seems reinstalling the operating system did it.  I think I'm in the clear (knocks on wood).

Yeah, that CES article got picked up by a number of tech news outlets. Some framed it as a "rumor", but given that MSI told me face-to-face that they'll be releasing a GTX 1080 Ti in March, I consider a bit more than rumor! Now, it could be delayed in response to AMD's surprising delay of Vega, but I'm pretty confident it will be here on time. Vega won't quite match the 1080 Ti anyway, but Nvidia will get higher margins if it can price the 1080 Ti without even the hint of competition from AMD.

Glad to hear the reinstall worked. Was that the first time it was done? If so, I'm sorry I didn't recommend it earlier. My guess, however, was that it slowly became corrupted due to the constant crashing caused by the PSU issues you had.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2017, 11:53:40 AM »
Was everything else posted in this thread moved to another thread or deleted? 

With the specs on of this new computer and getting a free sync monitor, would there by any issue with going with an AMD graphics card?  They are cheaper in general right?  Isn't their best card outside the Pro Duo the Fury 480x?   Going AMD would allow to make use of free sync correct?  What do you recommend?  When does AMD's new Vega cards come Q2 2017 right?  Should I exchange 7700K for the new Ryzen processor that's about to come out and just chill until the new Vega cards are released?Or will I be fine with existing 7700K and doing the same or with a current AMD GPU?  Want something sort of comparable to the 1060-1070 from AMD if that exists.  At least 1080p 60fps with the possibility of getting decent frames on 1440p but that's not a requirement of course. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 12:04:07 PM by LongJon »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »
I moved the discussion of the new home office system here.