Author Topic: Suggestion for First HTPC Build  (Read 71 times)

cbfinn_99

• View Profile
Suggestion for First HTPC Build
« on: December 31, 2016, 07:43:09 AM »
 First off, thanks for such an informative place on HTPC!

I plan on gutting an old Compaq SR1750NX to use for a case to save a few dollars.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107028R if this is possible?

My goals for this HTPC would be:
    Rip my DVD collection to the HD
    Play 1080p with possible 4K upgrade later.
    Input on motherboard or video card to take video from a Sony DCR-TRV525 NTSC http://www.mediacollege.com/equipment/sony/camera/dcr-trv/dcrtrv525.html
    Have a hot swap bay for HDD drives.
    SDD drive for Windows 7 and programs.
    Loudness of the fans etc does not matter.
    Use Intel's I5 processor https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010T6CWI2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&linkCode=sl1&tag=thtebusgu-20&linkId=9375e3fdb3611dc3a4eb5b27437f0b39

Any suggestions on what motherboard, video card, and power supply I would need?
 Also,any other pointers or information would be greatly appreciated as this is my first build.

TIA
-Chris

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for First HTPC Build
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 09:26:16 AM »
First off, thanks for such an informative place on HTPC!

I plan on gutting an old Compaq SR1750NX to use for a case to save a few dollars.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107028R if this is possible?

My goals for this HTPC would be:
    Rip my DVD collection to the HD
    Play 1080p with possible 4K upgrade later.
    Input on motherboard or video card to take video from a Sony DCR-TRV525 NTSC http://www.mediacollege.com/equipment/sony/camera/dcr-trv/dcrtrv525.html
    Have a hot swap bay for HDD drives.
    SDD drive for Windows 7 and programs.
    Loudness of the fans etc does not matter.
    Use Intel's I5 processor https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010T6CWI2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&linkCode=sl1&tag=thtebusgu-20&linkId=9375e3fdb3611dc3a4eb5b27437f0b39

Any suggestions on what motherboard, video card, and power supply I would need?
 Also,any other pointers or information would be greatly appreciated as this is my first build.

TIA
-Chris   

Hello and welcome to the TBG Forum, cbfinn_99!

First off, I would recommend against trying to reuse a 10-year-old PC case. While it appears to follow the micro ATX format, there are often changes made to proprietary OEM designs that make fitting standard components in them very difficult. For example, standard ATX power supplies often will not fit in OEM cases. I can also see that the case has essentially zero airflow, and while you mentioned that noise isn't important, keeping temperatures within safe levels probably should be.

In lieu of that case, I'd suggest you use a modern low-cost microATX case. This will save you a lot of trouble in the building process. I have reviewed and can recommend the Zalman T series and the Silverstone PS08. Just disassembling your Compaq to get it ready for use will probably take at least an hour, and may not even include all the parts you'd need to install modern components. Buying a new $30-$40 case is therefore well worth the investment.

Now, you mentioned you wanted a hot-swap hard drive. Most mATX cases will not work for that purpose due to the orientation of the internal hard drive bays, and cases with external hot-swap bays are no longer manufactured, except at the ultra-high-end (i.e., $250 and up). Are you sure you need this feature? I think the very best way to handle this is to buy an external hard drive docking station like this inexpensive USB 3.0 model. It's a much simpler solution that trying to swap drives inside a case.

Now, as for getting video off your Sony DCR-TRV525, well, that's not done through the motherboard or video card. You need a video capture card. Luckily, your 15-year-old Sony camera actually featured an output that was cutting-edge at the time, namely Firewire (IEEE 1394), and you can still buy Firewire capture cards, like this inexpensive StarTech model. Please note that I can't vouch for how this will work, but luckily the investment is fairly minimal. Note that you may need to find some free video conversion software to process your video. A user review mentioned using the discontinued WinDV software, which you may want to check out.

As for other components, I don't actually think you need a video card at all, so in addition to the Core i5 processor you already have in mind, you'll just need a motherboard, memory, a power supply, and your data drives. I'd suggest this new MSI B150M Grenade as your motherboard, as it comes with an M.2 slot and a USB 3.1 Type-C port (always nice to have forward-looking, rather than backward-looking standards!), as well as a good PCIe slot layout and a compact footprint. Add a couple sticks of Crucial DDR4 2133 RAM, the EVGA 450 B1 power supply, and your choice of drives (I'd suggest the PNY CS1311 240GB SSD as a minimum baseline), and you'll be in business.

Good luck!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 08:37:19 AM »
Important tip: Amazon often lists products that are "frequently bought together", and these are often poor recommendations, based on misinformation that previous purchasers used. For the Intel Core i5-6500, Amazon states the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler is purchased with it. That's a bad recommendation. Not only is it impossible to generate sufficient heat with this chip to take advantage of a tower cooler, it also won't fit in many small cases, including the ones I recommended for your HTPC.

Another example: Amazon almost always tells purchasers that they should buy the Corsair 2.5" to 3.5" mounting bracket for their SSDs, which is simply bad information. Every case released in the past five years can actually mount SSDs without an adapter, including every case ever recommended on this site. So unfortunately this is $7 wasted every time a TBG reader buys one.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:16:49 AM by Ari Altman »

cbfinn_99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 02:11:06 PM »
Thanks so much for the great advice!
 The docking station is exactly what I was looking for but didn't know this type of hardware was out there.
  This is a parts list of what I have bought so far. I went back and canceled the Intel I5 with the included fan as recommended. Could you link me up with the I5 and fan I need?

*List was edited to show the retail version of the Intel I5

iDsonix U3102 USB 3.0/2.0 SATA 1 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station with 3.3 Feet USB 3.0 Cable for HDD/SSD - Black
Sold by: iDsonix®
$19.99
StarTech.com 3 Port 2b 1a 1394 PCI Express FireWire Card Adapter PEX1394B3
$52.40
PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5” SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - (SSD7CS1311-240-RB)
$69.97
EVGA 450 B1, 80+ BRONZE 450W, 3 Year Warranty, Includes FREE Power On Self Tester, Power Supply 100-B1-0450-K1
$39.99
Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4-2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) CL15 SR x8 Unbuffered DIMM Desktop Memory CT2K4G4DFS8213/CT2C4G4DFS8213
$49.99
MSI Gaming Intel Skylake B150 LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 Micro ATX Motherboard (MSI B150M GRENADE)
$75.99
Silverstone Tek Micro-ATX, Mini-ITX Mid Tower Computer Case, Black PS08B
$39.99
Intel Core i5 6500 3.20 GHz Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151, 6MB Cache BX80662I56500
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 05:56:55 PM by cbfinn_99 »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 05:17:29 PM »
All you'll need is the retail version of the Intel Core i5-6500, which includes a cooler in the box. What you don't want is the OEM version, listed on the same page, which does not come with a cooler but mysteriously costs more.

cbfinn_99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 05:45:05 PM »
I really appreciate all the help and input Ari.
Thanks again!