Author Topic: The TBG $3000(US) Elite / 2 questions  (Read 1248 times)

Cdnmember

• View Profile
The TBG $3000(US) Elite / 2 questions
« on: November 21, 2016, 03:07:18 PM »
I am planning my 1st build. The Elite is my build of choice, however the Nvidia Titan XPascal is $1800(Cdn) delivered (currency, duty, taxes,, delivery), out of my price range. I have 2 questions at this time.
1. The video card in the $2500 build is only $400(Cdn) delivered on Amazon. What if I used this in the $3000 build? Or would you recommend some other card under $1000(Cdn).  I could drop back to the $2500(US) build, but the rest of the config of the $3000(US) build seems worth the price difference.
2. I like the tempered glass of the Phanteks case, but if/when I upgrade the Video card I don't think this case will accomodate it (please confirm). Is there another case, with tempered glass, that I could use in lieu of the Cooler Master Pro5? I want this build to be as quiet as possible. Any other suggestions in that regard appreciated. Thank You.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG $3000(US) Elite / 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 05:25:26 PM »
I am planning my 1st build. The Elite is my build of choice, however the Nvidia Titan XPascal is $1800(Cdn) delivered (currency, duty, taxes,, delivery), out of my price range. I have 2 questions at this time.
1. The video card in the $2500 build is only $400(Cdn) delivered on Amazon. What if I used this in the $3000 build? Or would you recommend some other card under $1000(Cdn).  I could drop back to the $2500(US) build, but the rest of the config of the $3000(US) build seems worth the price difference.
2. I like the tempered glass of the Phanteks case, but if/when I upgrade the Video card I don't think this case will accomodate it (please confirm). Is there another case, with tempered glass, that I could use in lieu of the Cooler Master Pro5? I want this build to be as quiet as possible. Any other suggestions in that regard appreciated. Thank You.

Welcome to The TBG Forum, Cdnmember!

The $2,500 Build uses dual GTX 1070 cards in SLI. This solution is actually just as fast as the Titan X Pascal on average, but in some games it will be faster, in some games it will be much slower. A single card is always a bit more predictable in that sense. If you don't want to take on the challenge of running dual cards, then you have two options: buy the GeForce GTX 1080 now, or wait for the GTX 1080 Ti, which may be released as soon as January. It will come in half way between the price of the GTX 1080 and the Titan X Pascal, with performance a bit closer to the Titan X Pascal than the 1080.

As for cases, TBG reviewed the standard Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX, and it's a beautiful case. The Evolv Tempered Glass Edition, which I believe is what you're referring to, simply trades the two swing-out aluminum side panels for bolt-on glass panels. It's definitely a well-made case. It is also relatively quiet, but do keep in mind that it does not offer the same level of airflow as the high-performance cases recommended in TBG's Gaming PC Buyer's Guides. That would be an issue for running dual video cards (i.e., I don't recommend it). Corsair just released (as in today!) a tempered glass case called the Crystal 570X that will likely be hitting store shelves within the next 30 days. It has four glass panels and RGB lighting, which makes it unique. The only other option that might be worth waiting for is the new Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass, which has just a single tempered glass panel, but with the advantage of superior airflow and a much lower price versus the other two options. It, like the Corsair, is actually not yet available.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 07:38:57 PM by Ari Altman »

Cdnmember

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 07:41:44 PM »
Thank you for the detailed reply - with links, much appreciated!
1. I will go with one of the cases you suggest, they are both awesome. I see the Corsair has three fans included, the new Phanteks case two fans. Would I still need the Corsair H100v2 cooler for this build using either of these cases? Hopefully they will be available here in January  :)
2. I will also wait until January to see the price on the new Gtx1080 ti; maybe the price on the current Gtx1080 will come down a bit.
Thx again.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 08:17:40 PM »
Thank you for the detailed reply - with links, much appreciated!
1. I will go with one of the cases you suggest, they are both awesome. I see the Corsair has three fans included, the new Phanteks case two fans. Would I still need the Corsair H100v2 cooler for this build using either of these cases? Hopefully they will be available here in January  :)
2. I will also wait until January to see the price on the new Gtx1080 ti; maybe the price on the current Gtx1080 will come down a bit.
Thx again.

Happy to help - made good use of all the press releases I come across!

And yes, I'd still recommend the H100i v2 with those cases given that you'll be using a high-powered 6-core CPU.

Cdnmember

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 07:46:55 PM »
Hi Ari
I can get the Dell U3415W today in Canada for $800 pretax. Would you recommend this monitor for this build? The PC will be for home use, some gaming. Thanks

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 08:44:53 PM »
Hi Ari
I can get the Dell U3415W today in Canada for $800 pretax. Would you recommend this monitor for this build? The PC will be for home use, some gaming. Thanks

That's a fantastic value for the Dell U3415W, which typically sells for quite a bit more (Amazon.ca has for around CDN$1000). Note that the U3415W is being phased out, but its replacement is coming in at a much higher pricepoint. And there was nothing wrong with the 3415W - it was a class-leading product for the past year.

Cdnmember

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 05:19:02 PM »
 Now have the ASRock Taichi motherboard and Dell U34W15 courtesy of Black Friday. Boxing Day next up.
1. the Crucial MX300 1TB CT1050MX300SSD4 and Intel 540S 1TB M.2 2280 SSD are not much more price wise than the Crucial CT1050MX300SSD1 recommended for this build. Any reason not to buy one of these instead?
2. I am waiting for the Phanteks Pro M Tempered case to become available here, hopefully January. Given that, I won't be putting an internal Optical Drive in the build. Question, will I need one (for example when installing new keyboard and mouse), and if so what would you recommend? I don't watch dvd's etc on the PC, so would get minimal use after the build is complete (if needed at all).
3. decided to go with a GTX 1080 card for budget reasons, several from Asus, EVGA, Zotac, Gigabyte, Nvidia, MSI seem to be about equal based on various reviews lately. Any particular one you recommend ignoring price difference?
Thanks

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 10:10:40 PM »
Good questions there. Here are your answers:

1. The other SSDs you mentioned aren't actually faster than the MX300 1TB 2.5" drive. They are M.2 drives, but that alone doesn't make them better. Only M.2 drives that use the PCIe interface, which these do not, will be faster. But these are always much, much more expensive.

2. The Phanteks Pro M actually does have space for an optical drive, so you can install one if you wish. But you don't need one. Just make sure you buy a copy of Windows 10 on flash drive. All other drivers can be downloaded as long as you have a wired ethernet connection. If you will be using a wireless adapter, you'll need to get the drivers for the adapter onto the system some other way, for instance by downloading them on a different PC and copying the installer over.

3. All GTX 1080 cards will perform exactly the same, but some are a bit quieter, and others are a bit cheaper. That's the tradeoff. The Asus and MSI models are quietest, and not surprisingly the most expensive. The Zotac and Gigabyte are cheapest...and loudest. So take your pick based on your budget and preference.

Cdnmember

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 07:19:04 PM »
Ari
I have decided to go with the new Corsair Crystal 570x case (a beauty). As it comes with three front fans, plus the Corsair Hydro H100i V2 cooler, do I need bottom or rear fan(s)? If so, please recommend. Also, I looked on your site but did not see recommendation for a UPC - would a Cyberpower CP685AVRLCD be sufficient for this PC, monitor and printer or would I need something like an APC BR1000G?
Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 08:00:20 PM »
Ari
I have decided to go with the new Corsair Crystal 570x case (a beauty). As it comes with three front fans, plus the Corsair Hydro H100i V2 cooler, do I need bottom or rear fan(s)? If so, please recommend. Also, I looked on your site but did not see recommendation for a UPC - would a Cyberpower CP685AVRLCD be sufficient for this PC, monitor and printer or would I need something like an APC BR1000G?
Thanks!

You should absolutely add a rear fan, and it's a shame Corsair didn't include one. I would recommend this Phanteks 120mm model.

As for UPCs, please keep in mind that the models you've selected will only be powerful enough to run your equipment for 20-40 minutes. They're intended as emergency backup to allow you to save and safely shut down. I wouldn't even bother with the 390W model (the CP685), frankly. I use the Cyberpower BRG1500AVR 900W model and it powers my router and modem (only) for 6 hours. It would be enough to power a PC and monitor for about one hour (not including gaming use). By the way, you should NOT include a printer on it, as that will burn through the battery really fast. I highly recommend it.

Cdnmember

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »
Hi Ari, all the best in 2017, keep up the good work!
A couple of questions on RAM. I am planning on buying the Corsair Vengeance LED ram. There is minimal price difference between 3200 MHz and 3400 MHz. Have bought the Asrock Taichi motherboard. Will the higher MHz give better results? I remember in the Gaming DDR4 memory benchmarking on quad channel x99 platform it said anything above 2666mhz was basically wasted money. Second question, do you think there is any performance difference between the Vengeance and Dominator Platinum ram?
Thanks again.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 02:40:13 PM »
Happy New Year to you, Cdnmember!

The X99 chipset is not certified to work with DDR4-3400 (or vice versa, to be more precise). I would not recommend that combination, as it is unlikely to achieve stability using the XMP profile.

Corsair says its Dominator RAM is hand tested to achieve its rated clock. But honestly, if RAM doesn't achieve its rating, you can always get it replaced under warranty.  I wouldn't recommend it for your build.

Looking forward to hearing how the build goes!

Cdnmember

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »
ok, just to clarify, should I go for the 2666Mhz or 3200Mhz?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »
ok, just to clarify, should I go for the 2666Mhz or 3200Mhz?

Back when the DDR4 Gaming article was published in early 2016, DDR4-3200 was a lot more expensive than DDR4-2666, and didn't run reliably on the X99 platform (because of Haswell-E's inferior memory controller). Today, DDR4-2666 and DDR4-3200 are often just a few dollars apart, and Broadwell-E has no trouble running it. Will the  faster RAM provide noticeably better performance on this platform? No, it won't, so if you happen to find DDR4-2666 to be a lot cheaper, go for it, otherwise, just max out the system with 3200MHz RAM.