Author Topic: Windows 10 hangs on startup  (Read 504 times)

peteracworth

• View Profile
Windows 10 hangs on startup
« on: November 15, 2016, 09:56:41 AM »
Hi All,

I recently built the October 3500 machine http://techbuyersguru.com/3500-ultimate-gaming-pc-build  The only difference from this build is that I have only one 1080 graphics card at present.

All was fine for a few days, and now windows hangs at startup. I get to the nice picture but nothing on the keyboard or mouse makes the text fly upwards and the login prompt to appear.  I have tried the following:

1) New keyboard and mouse
2) Tried to boot in safe mode, but there is no way I can find (all 4 methods appear to require use of mouse and/or keyboard)
3) Attempted to boot from the original windows 10 flash drive. Tried to 'repair' but this failed.
4) Disabled 'fast boot' in BIOS
5) reinstalled windows 10

Problem persists.  Its as if the OS doesnt recognize anything USB related.  Mouse and Keyboard work fine in BIOS and indeed if I boot from the windows flash drive.

The only non-standard thing I did during the build was to disable secure boot as I wanted an Ubuntu partition.  However, at this point I have reinstalled windows and there is only windows 10 on the box (ubuntu gone to eliminate that as a possible cause)

I'm completely lost at this point. Help!

Peter

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:59:18 AM by peteracworth »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 hangs on startup
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 11:38:34 AM »
Hi All,

I recently built the October 3500 machine http://techbuyersguru.com/3500-ultimate-gaming-pc-build  The only difference from this build is that I have only one 1080 graphics card at present.

All was fine for a few days, and now windows hangs at startup. I get to the nice picture but nothing on the keyboard or mouse makes the text fly upwards and the login prompt to appear.  I have tried the following:

1) New keyboard and mouse
2) Tried to boot in safe mode, but there is no way I can find (all 4 methods appear to require use of mouse and/or keyboard)
3) Attempted to boot from the original windows 10 flash drive. Tried to 'repair' but this failed.
4) Disabled 'fast boot' in BIOS
5) reinstalled windows 10

Problem persists.  Its as if the OS doesnt recognize anything USB related.  Mouse and Keyboard work fine in BIOS and indeed if I boot from the windows flash drive.

The only non-standard thing I did during the build was to disable secure boot as I wanted an Ubuntu partition.  However, at this point I have reinstalled windows and there is only windows 10 on the box (ubuntu gone to eliminate that as a possible cause)

I'm completely lost at this point. Help!

Peter

Hello, Peter, and welcome to The TBG Forum!

So, in this type of situation, where a system was working but then stopped working correctly, we have to look for any change that may have occurred. I have seen the scenario where Windows hangs in the boot screen, before arriving at the lock screen, but I've never seen a hang at the lock screen itself, which is what you describe.

It sounds like Windows is actually getting all the way to the lock screen, so it's not a system crash or hang. You just can't access the lock screen. The reason that the mouse and keyboard (and therefore USB ports) work fine in the BIOS and when booting from the Windows flash drive is that Windows drivers haven't been loaded (and aren't required in those interfaces). It also means this is not a hardware failure. It could be as simple as a Windows update that knocked out the USB drivers.

The first thing I'd do is return the UEFI BIOS to optimized defaults (that's an option available in the UEFI boot menu). This will set everything back to the original factory settings. Did you actually get through the process of reinstalling Windows 10. At some point in that process, a keyboard is required. Was it working during the reinstall process (for instance, where you choose your user name)? If so, that again suggests that the problem is very specific, and isn't preventing the USB ports from working entirely. If you didn't finish the reinstall process, I would definitely try that again, and I'd suggest removing any additional partitions on the drive that were dedicated to Ubuntu.

Now, one thing to consider, if you're using the Asus X99 ROG Strix that has been the recommended motherboard for this build since it was released, is that this board has a serial port. In a worst case scenario, you could buy a Logitech PS/2 Keyboard to see if it will allow you access to the lock page, at which point you would also be able see if your USB peripherals begin to work. If they do, you could shut off the lock screen temporarily until you find a solution. PS/2 devices do not require drivers, which is why they can work when USB devices fail.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:50:30 AM by Ari Altman »

peteracworth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 08:22:06 AM »
Thank you so much for the reply!  I thought that by doing a home-build I'd be alone with this sort of issue , but I am very grateful that's not the case!

Yes, I have returned to UEFI BIOS defaults.  The only thing that didn't revert was that I removed secure boot (there was some key it had me remove). I haven't reverted that back, but I can't imagine that being an issue.

I've now reinstalled windows 3 times. All Ubuntu partitions gone. Indeed, I have unplugged all other hard drives other than the windows 10 one which is the Samsumg SATA flash drive/chip plugged directly into the motherboard.

Yes, the keyboard/mouse work flawlessly through the installation process and indeed initially post install. The problem recurs after about the third reboot.  I think you're correct - windows it must have updated the USB drivers in the background and the don't work for some reason.

That is excellent feedback to use the serial port. It hadn't occurred to me this motherboard will even have one.  This will hopefully enable me to at least get in and perhaps install new USB drivers.  I'll post back here with feedback about that.

Thanks again!

PS my tech department at work are into mac/linux.  It turns out that the only way to get windows 10 to boot into safe mode with a dead keyboard and mouse is to yank the power cord while its booting and then reboot again.  My colleagues find this hilariously funny for some reason.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 08:23:41 AM by peteracworth »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 09:53:11 AM »
Quick question for you: which mouse and keyboard are you using?

I have seen on several of TBG's systems that use Asus motherboards that the USB ports do not provide enough power to the keyboard to keep it operating. These are mechanical, LED-lit keyboards that happen to require a lot of power. Any chance that's what you're using?

peteracworth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 07:02:57 PM »
I appear to have found the issue.  Its something to do with USB3. If I make the following change in BIOS all is good:

Intel xHCI Mode [Smart Auto] -> [Disabled]

This change apparently makes all USB ports function like USB 2 ports. This is the only change necessary from the optimized defaults in BIOS.

I assume there must be something in the windows driver I am using that doesn't like the USB 3 functionality of my board. 

However, if so, its decidedly odd that nobody else appears to have come across this issue. I searched high and low on the internet.

Anyway, I have no real need for USB 3, so I am happy to be back in business :)

Thanks again.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »
I appear to have found the issue.  Its something to do with USB3. If I make the following change in BIOS all is good:

Intel xHCI Mode [Smart Auto] -> [Disabled]

This change apparently makes all USB ports function like USB 2 ports. This is the only change necessary from the optimized defaults in BIOS.

I assume there must be something in the windows driver I am using that doesn't like the USB 3 functionality of my board. 

However, if so, its decidedly odd that nobody else appears to have come across this issue. I searched high and low on the internet.

Anyway, I have no real need for USB 3, so I am happy to be back in business :)

Thanks again.

I hate to say it, but I've actually come across this issue before, when Windows 8 was updated to Windows 8.1, and I wish I'd mentioned it to you. Upon that update, all my USB devices failed at the Windows load screen, and I had to make the same change you did. xHCI is the USB 3.0 controller.

Before giving up entirely on USB 3.0, make sure that you download and install all the newest drivers from the motherboard manufacturer website (Asus), as there may be some drivers that require updating due to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Now, my belief was that this issue had been resolved by this point, given that we're now at Windows 10 and have more modern motherboards. But it's another reminder that USB 3.0 was a disastrous tech rollout, and has truly never worked as intended. I still get dropouts on USB 3.0 devices, and a lot of people blame this on their case's front USB 3.0 ports, but that's not the real issue. The issue is the USB 3.0 standard, which was flawed from the start.

Congrats on sleuthing this out... I'm just sorry I didn't think to mention it to you.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 08:10:13 PM by Ari Altman »