Author Topic: The TBG Extreme Gaming Mini-ITX Build  (Read 33295 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG Extreme Gaming Mini-ITX Build
« Reply #225 on: December 10, 2016, 07:51:33 PM »
Hi - I am in the process of putting together the VR-READY MINI-ITX PC build (the latest one) and am wondering if anyone else has encountered the following problem.  The USB 2.0 connector on the front end case cable does not seem to fit the motherboard slot.  The case cable USB 2.0 connector seems too small to fit the motherboard connector.  I'm using all the exact same components specified in the build (Fractal Core 500 case and ASUS z170 programing MB) and have spent about an hour trying to get the female case connector to slide onto the male motherboard USB 2.0 prongs.  Something is not right!  Or I'm missing something.  I've looked at the motherboard drawing in the manual about 15 times to make sure I'm connecting to the proper location. Help!

Welcome to the TBG Forum, newbuilder!

The good news is that there's a simple solution to this problem, and the reason I know that is that the Fractal Design Core 500 case does not have USB 2.0 connectors! It does, however, have USB 3.0 connectors, which use the one and only USB 3.0 header on the motherboard. If you are attempting to attach a cable that looks like a USB 2.0 connector into the motherboard, what you likely have is the HD Audio connector, which has a different pin-out and connects to the lower-left-hand corner of the board, not to a USB 2.0 header.

newbuilder

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 11, 2016, 10:53:25 AM »
hi ari - thx for the prompt reply.  it's definitely not the HD audio cable as that is a ribbon styles cable, easily identifiable (labeled even) and already hooked up.  this cable is part of the USB 3.0 cable (spliced into it).  I'd send a photo but can't figure out how to attach one.  Thank you for the heads up that the Fractal Core 500 case only has USB 3.0 connectors.  I should have double-checked that spec.  Maybe that other connector (that looks exactly like a USB 2.0 connector but slightly smaller) is perhaps for another type of USB 3.0 socket that may appear on some MBs.  I don't know but for this build it shall remain unconnected.

Again, thx for the reply.  I can now move on with this build!

Jury-Pool-Reject

• Reading/Computers & PC Gaming/Tennis/NFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 12, 2016, 07:23:51 AM »
My new rig, listed below in 'Sig', is up and running great. I had a defective MB which was replaced by Asus, and now RAM running at -3200. My Ncase M1 Mini-ITX case looks AMAZING on my desktop. It's surely computer eye-candy. And this rig is FAST beyond belief.

I'll try to send some pics of my desktop, but I continue to have problems getting them from my LGV10 phone onto my computer...SHEESH...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:26:14 AM by Jury-Pool-Reject »
Mini-ITX-Ncase M1 | Asus Z170i | i7-6700k  | Noctua C14 | 1080-FE | 1TB SSD | 16GB Corsair -3200 | Corsair SF600 | Monoprice 2.0 speakers | uDAC5 | Sennheiser PC360 | 27" Acer XB271HU | Seagate 2TB  
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."   -Oscar Wilde

Belay

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 29, 2016, 02:45:08 AM »
Hi. First of all, thx for this great web site. It became my reference one since I've started to look into building a mini ITX gear. One question though with respect to the 1500$ build. You've changed the GC from the EVGA 1070 SC to the ASUS 1070 dual. Any reason for that ? Cheaper price tag ? Better performances ? Or is it linked to the EVGA overheat issues ?
Another questions from my side. Keeping the Core 500 case what is the max dimensions you will advise for the GC ?
Thx a lot and cheers from South of France... 8)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 29, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »
Hi. First of all, thx for this great web site. It became my reference one since I've started to look into building a mini ITX gear. One question though with respect to the 1500$ build. You've changed the GC from the EVGA 1070 SC to the ASUS 1070 dual. Any reason for that ? Cheaper price tag ? Better performances ? Or is it linked to the EVGA overheat issues ?
Another questions from my side. Keeping the Core 500 case what is the max dimensions you will advise for the GC ?
Thx a lot and cheers from South of France... 8)

Welcome Belay, and thanks for joining us from France!

Two great questions there. The Asus 1070 Dual was chosen strictly based on price in the U.S. earlier this month. At this point, both it and the EVGA 1070 SC are around the same price. These are the only two models i can recommend based on size. Most models are taller and longer, so for example a reader had some trouble fitting the MSI 1070 Gaming X, an otherwise fantastic (but expensive) model, in this build while also installing an optical drive.

As for the EVGA overheating issues, that was a case of irrational forum-induced paranoia. Want to know how I feel about it? Three weeks ago I purchased another ACX model at retail for TBG's big 4K GPU Showdown. Did it blow up during testing? No, it did not! ;)

The 1070 SC will likely be returning to this build in January depending on how prices settle after the 1st of the month, when rebates and promotions often reset.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:05:20 AM by Ari Altman »

Belay

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 29, 2016, 09:45:56 AM »
Hi Ari Thx for your feedback. Actually I was also thinking of the MSI one and there is also a gigabyte with a dedicate mini itx form factor. I will not have any optical drive...Maybe an external one as you suggested...Will look over the forum to check that build with the MSI...But good to know that the price was the driver for the choice. Additionally thx for your feedback about the overheating issue. Best regards. A bientot. ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:58:03 AM by Belay »

Belay

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 07, 2017, 07:02:01 AM »
Hi Art. Thx for the January update of that build. I have a few additional questions :
    - Why aren't you using an M2 kind of drive to free some space in the casing ? Is it because of potential cooling issues ?
    - You recommend the use of a 2,5" HDD... A standard 3,5" would not make it because of the space available ? If yes, is it still the case when the optical drive is out ?

- Finally do you think the backplate installed on the EVGA 1070 SC is useful ? There is a good deal here in France on the black edition of that card, the only difference being the back plate which is not included...

Thx for your time. Best Regards.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 07, 2017, 08:12:33 AM »
All great questions, Belay. Here are the answers:

1) in this build, an M.2 device will overheat, as ITX motherboards have rear-mounted slots, and here that means the drive would be up against the solid, unventilated bottom panel.

2) you can use a 3.5" drive and a 5.25" drive together in this case, but installation of the drives and power cables is incredibly difficult due to the limited space. I recommend against it for practical purposes. Also, a 3.5" hard drive will receive no airflow in this case.

3) the backplate on the EVGA GTX 1070 is very nice and generally worth paying an extra $10-15 for, but isn't that helpful in this build as space is at a premium. It actually will touch the power supply. So just get the Black Edition, but due note that the heatsink is also a little less advanced than the standard model. It's still more than adequate given the efficiency of the 1070 GPU.