Thank you for all the fantastic information on your website. If I can change topic a bit, I wanted your advice.
I love your component suggestions for your current Home Theatre PC build. I'm looking for a very quiet, cool desktop that will sit on my standing desk. I may go with the Silverstone ML04 case if I use the desktop as a monitor stand but i'm also hoping to find other possibilities for smaller, quieter cases. I'm intrigued by the Sugo SG13 case that you've recommended for the $1100 Gaming/HTPC Mini-ITX but I don't plan on gaming- only some video/photo editing and general office tasks.
If I used the SG13 case instead of the ML04B, what components would you recommend? Would this case be super quiet running a Pentium I3 skylake?
Hey there digisides,
The Silverstone ML04
is a great pick if you'd like to stand a monitor on top of your PC. That's because it's designed for stacking, and features internal cross-bracing to support the weight of a monitor.
That being said, if you don't need the height for your monitor, or just don't like that style, something like the SG1
3 would work well for your purposes too. But there's another case I'd suggest to you: the Silverstone CS01
, which TBG recently reviewed
. It's really the ideal case for setting on top of your desk, due to its mini-tower format, which gives it a small footprint. It also looks fantastic. It's quite a bit more expensive than the SG13, but also has a much more premium feel.
Either way, here are the components I'd recommend you use:
(1) CPU: Core i3-6100
- plenty of power for video/photo editing and still ultra-efficient
(2) Motherboard: ASRock H170M-ITX/DL
- nice feature set for the price
(3) SSD: Crucial BX100 250GB
- absolutely the best value in mid-range SSDs right now
(4) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
- top quality heatsink that includes a voltage reduction adapter to cut noise to a minimum
(5) Memory: 2x4GB Corsair DDR4-2133
- among the best DDR4-2133 sticks on the market (note that DDR4-2133 is as fast as the H170 chipset can support, so don't spend money on higher-frequency RAM)
(6) Power supply: Silverstone SX500-LG
- with a zero-fan idle mode, it will be silent nearly all of the time
(7) OS: Windows 10 Download
- assuming you don't have a copy of Windows, this is the best alternative for this system, as you can copy it onto a thumb drive for installation (these cases don't have space for a DVD reader)
That about covers it. Just pick the case you want (SG13 or CS01), and all of the above components will work with either.