Author Topic: The TBG Home Theater PC Build  (Read 28288 times)

ianmcw

• View Profile
Re: The TBG Home Theater PC Build
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2016, 01:25:02 PM »
sorry another question the usb front panel connection, the board only has an optional connection so do the usb 3 front panel connect to usb2 port on mother board

ianmcw

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2016, 02:40:25 PM »
Also noticed now that only 2 sata power cables come with the PSU and i cant just use 1 for the SSD and HDD as its about 1.5" to short that means i will be 1 sata power cable short for the LG optical drive :(

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2016, 03:15:27 PM »
sorry another question the usb front panel connection, the board only has an optional connection so do the usb 3 front panel connect to usb2 port on mother board

Also noticed now that only 2 sata power cables come with the PSU and i cant just use 1 for the SSD and HDD as its about 1.5" to short that means i will be 1 sata power cable short for the LG optical drive :(

Hi Ari,

Thanks again for your quick reply :) I thought that was the way but just wanted to check as its been close to 10 years since i built my last pc

Did you have to buy longer screws for the SSD ? it seems ones supplied when go through the plastic holder only have like 1 thread to hold the ssd

An easy solution to the multiple issues you've listed is to use double-stick tape to attach the SSD right next to the hard drive and optical drive. That's what I've done with many Silverstone cases that position the drives far apart. SSDs weigh so little that they're easy to stick on and won't be damaged if they come undone.

As for the USB 3 cable, every current board has a USB 3.0 header. On the MSI B150M Mortar, for example, it's the second header up from the lower-left-hand corner in the photo below:

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:17:57 PM by Ari Altman »

ianmcw

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2016, 04:30:58 PM »
Hi Ari thx again for your replys

ok so it is the connection that says JUSB 2 not the optional connection next to power connection that says JUSB 3

I picked up some 4 pin adapters to sata for LG dvd drive

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2016, 05:31:00 PM »
Hi Ari thx again for your replys

ok so it is the connection that says JUSB 2 not the optional connection next to power connection that says JUSB 3

I picked up some 4 pin adapters to sata for LG dvd drive

What you're seeing is a header numbering, not a reference to the USB generation. So there's a USB1, USB2, and USB3, meaning headers 1, 2, and 3. USB1 is for a USB 2.0 connector, USB2 is a USB 3.0 connector, and USB3 is an optional pin-out for use on higher-end boards (meaning this PCB is used in several models).

mufc

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2016, 07:58:00 AM »
I am wanting to build an HTPC but I am nervous about whether it will work with my Denon AVR 1613. I recently tried a refurbished Dell E6420 Core i5 2520M with no success at gettting it to play nice with my Denon. It would hook up directly to the TV via HDMI but that is it. I tested the rear HDMI and front Aux HDMI with one of my WDTV Live boxes and the front Aux HDMI works fine. I took that Laptop back and need to try someone elses Laptop to see if I can get the Denon to work. If not then I need to consider getting another AVR. I do not want to build an HTPC until I can at least get a Laptop working the same way the HTPC would.

What do I want my HTPC to be able to do?
Run KODI and be able to play files on my LAN(Ethernet) with passthrough DTS-HD and Dolby True HD via HDMI. I have no interest in gaming.
Either play Blu-Ray by having a player as part of the HTPC or play ripped Blu-Rays from my LAN

Right now I use WDTV Live boxes but they will not pass through DTS-HD and Dolby True HD and they will not run KODI.

I have narrowed down some parts from your article and would appreciate some input. I am assuming that these cases will be fine for me as I should have no need for a dedicated Video Card. I will run Windows 10.

Part options
Core i3-6300 Processor, 3.80GHz w/ 4MB Cache       HD Graphics 530                                                                             
Core i3-6100 Processor, 3.70GHz w/ 3MB Cache     HD Graphics 530                                                                           

Motherboard MSI B150M Mortar mATX LGA1151 B150 DDR4 SATA3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 HDMI DVI VGA USB3.0 Motherboard                       

Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4-2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) CL15 SR x8 Unbuffered DIMM Desktop Memory CT2K4G4DFS8213/CT2C4G4DFS8213       
ADATA Premier Series 8GB DDR4 2133MHz Dual Channel RAM Kit (2x 4GB)                                                     
HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 2133MHz CL14 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB), Black                                                             

Crucial MX200 Series Solid State Drive, 250GB                                                                                   

Silverstone ML04B Slim HTPC Case, Black                                                                                         
Silverstone Milo ML03 MicroATX HTPC Case, Black                                                                       

Antec Basiq VP-450 450W Power Supply                                                                                           
Corsair CS Series 450 Watt ATX Modular and Efficient Power Supply CS450M                                                       
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:10:33 AM by mufc »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2016, 09:54:12 AM »
I am wanting to build an HTPC but I am nervous about whether it will work with my Denon AVR 1613. I recently tried a refurbished Dell E6420 Core i5 2520M with no success at gettting it to play nice with my Denon. It would hook up directly to the TV via HDMI but that is it. I tested the rear HDMI and front Aux HDMI with one of my WDTV Live boxes and the front Aux HDMI works fine. I took that Laptop back and need to try someone elses Laptop to see if I can get the Denon to work. If not then I need to consider getting another AVR. I do not want to build an HTPC until I can at least get a Laptop working the same way the HTPC would.

What do I want my HTPC to be able to do?
Run KODI and be able to play files on my LAN(Ethernet) with passthrough DTS-HD and Dolby True HD via HDMI. I have no interest in gaming.
Either play Blu-Ray by having a player as part of the HTPC or play ripped Blu-Rays from my LAN

Right now I use WDTV Live boxes but they will not pass through DTS-HD and Dolby True HD and they will not run KODI.

I have narrowed down some parts from your article and would appreciate some input. I am assuming that these cases will be fine for me as I should have no need for a dedicated Video Card. I will run Windows 10.

Part options
Core i3-6300 Processor, 3.80GHz w/ 4MB Cache       HD Graphics 530                                                                             
Core i3-6100 Processor, 3.70GHz w/ 3MB Cache     HD Graphics 530                                                                           

Motherboard MSI B150M Mortar mATX LGA1151 B150 DDR4 SATA3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 HDMI DVI VGA USB3.0 Motherboard                       

Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4-2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) CL15 SR x8 Unbuffered DIMM Desktop Memory CT2K4G4DFS8213/CT2C4G4DFS8213       
ADATA Premier Series 8GB DDR4 2133MHz Dual Channel RAM Kit (2x 4GB)                                                     
HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 2133MHz CL14 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB), Black                                                             

Crucial MX200 Series Solid State Drive, 250GB                                                                                   

Silverstone ML04B Slim HTPC Case, Black                                                                                         
Silverstone Milo ML03 MicroATX HTPC Case, Black                                                                       

Antec Basiq VP-450 450W Power Supply                                                                                           
Corsair CS Series 450 Watt ATX Modular and Efficient Power Supply CS450M                                                       

Your Denon AVR-1613 is a 2013 model, but is new enough to have built-in DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD decoding. No need for a newer receiver (there's nothing at all you gain from upgrading in regard to these sound formats).

I think one of your best bets may actually be a new Intel NUC. As stated in the Intel specifications (page 23), it can handle DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD.

Because you will be running files off your LAN, and because you will not be gaming, you need neither large onboard storage capacity nor a discrete video card. The NUC is an elegant solution, and has plenty of decoding power. The Core i3 desktop processors you listed would be fine of course, but they are overpowered for the job you have in mind. KODI doesn't require much more power than a typical DVD player. The NUC can handle that too!

You can read more about the NUC in the NUC Buyer's Guide.

mufc

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2016, 11:44:11 AM »
Wow! Thanks for your prompt reply. I have searched all over the Internet to answers to questions like this and there is such a rich vein of knowledge here.

Intel NUC BOXNUC6I3SYK I3-6100U 2 SODIMM Slots M.2 PCIEx4 Slot Mini-DP HDMI 6XUSB SDXC Slot
with
Intel SSD 535 Series 120GB M.2 SATA 3 Solid State Drive (SSD)
and
Kingston HyperX Impact 8GB(2X4GB) DDR4-2133 SODIMM Memory

It seems like these should work together well. As far as the Operating system goes would you recommend Windows 10 or 8.1? I have read KODI sometimes has problems with Windows 10 and some people recommend 8.1. What is you two cents on that issue?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2016, 11:53:34 AM »
Wow! Thanks for your prompt reply. I have searched all over the Internet to answers to questions like this and there is such a rich vein of knowledge here.

Intel NUC BOXNUC6I3SYK I3-6100U 2 SODIMM Slots M.2 PCIEx4 Slot Mini-DP HDMI 6XUSB SDXC Slot
with
Intel SSD 535 Series 120GB M.2 SATA 3 Solid State Drive (SSD)
and
Kingston HyperX Impact 8GB(2X4GB) DDR4-2133 SODIMM Memory

It seems like these should work together well. As far as the Operating system goes would you recommend Windows 10 or 8.1? I have read KODI sometimes has problems with Windows 10 and some people recommend 8.1. What is you two cents on that issue?

That would all work quite well. Indeed, the Core i3 version of the NUC is a more cost-effective solution for your needs. It's just a bit harder to find than the Core i5 version due the Skylake NUC being brand-new (and the Core i3 being the lower-volume part).

I'm not a huge fan of the Intel 535, as it's based on very old technology, and is therefore much slower than the Samsung 850 Evo M.2 listed in the guide.  If you just want a smaller model, the 850 Evo is also available in a 120GB size - here it is in the U.S. and Canada.

I'm not too concerned about complaints about Windows 10, with Kodi or otherwise. I'd never buy Windows 8.1 at this point. Win10 is vastly superior in so many ways. If you were really worried about it, you could get Win8.1 and use the free upgrade through July 2016 to go to Win10 once the Kodi issues are worked out, which they surely will be on a well-supported app like that one. Windows 10 is already installed on more systems than Win8.1. It's not just the future, it's the present!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:55:34 AM by Ari Altman »

digisides

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2016, 08:06:36 PM »
Thank you for all the fantastic information on your website. If I can change topic a bit, I wanted your advice.

I love your component suggestions for your current Home Theatre PC build. I'm looking for a very quiet, cool desktop that will sit on my standing desk. I may go with the Silverstone ML04 case if I use the desktop as a monitor stand but i'm also hoping to find other possibilities for smaller, quieter cases. I'm intrigued by the Sugo SG13 case that you've recommended for the $1100 Gaming/HTPC Mini-ITX but I don't plan on gaming- only some video/photo editing and general office tasks.

If I used the SG13 case instead of the ML04B, what components would you recommend? Would this case be super quiet running a Pentium I3 skylake?

Sol

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2016, 10:37:20 PM »
Thank you for all the fantastic information on your website. If I can change topic a bit, I wanted your advice.

I love your component suggestions for your current Home Theatre PC build. I'm looking for a very quiet, cool desktop that will sit on my standing desk. I may go with the Silverstone ML04 case if I use the desktop as a monitor stand but i'm also hoping to find other possibilities for smaller, quieter cases. I'm intrigued by the Sugo SG13 case that you've recommended for the $1100 Gaming/HTPC Mini-ITX but I don't plan on gaming- only some video/photo editing and general office tasks.

If I used the SG13 case instead of the ML04B, what components would you recommend? Would this case be super quiet running a Pentium I3 skylake?

Sol

Hey there digisides,

The Silverstone ML04 is a great pick if you'd like to stand a monitor on top of your PC. That's because it's designed for stacking, and features internal cross-bracing to support the weight of a monitor.

That being said, if you don't need the height for your monitor, or just don't like that style, something like the SG13 would work well for your purposes too. But there's another case I'd suggest to you: the Silverstone CS01, which TBG recently reviewed. It's really the ideal case for setting on top of your desk, due to its mini-tower format, which gives it a small footprint. It also looks fantastic. It's quite a bit more expensive than the SG13, but also has a much more premium feel.

Either way, here are the components I'd recommend you use:
(1) CPU: Core i3-6100 - plenty of power for video/photo editing and still ultra-efficient
(2) Motherboard: ASRock H170M-ITX/DL - nice feature set for the price
(3) SSD: Crucial BX100 250GB - absolutely the best value in mid-range SSDs right now
(4) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i - top quality heatsink that includes a voltage reduction adapter to cut noise to a minimum
(5) Memory: 2x4GB Corsair DDR4-2133 - among the best DDR4-2133 sticks on the market (note that DDR4-2133 is as fast as the H170 chipset can support, so don't spend money on higher-frequency RAM)
(6) Power supply: Silverstone SX500-LG - with a zero-fan idle mode, it will be silent nearly all of the time
(7) OS: Windows 10 Download - assuming you don't have a copy of Windows, this is the best alternative for this system, as you can copy it onto a thumb drive for installation (these cases don't have space for a DVD reader)

That about covers it. Just pick the case you want (SG13 or CS01), and all of the above components will work with either.

digisides

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2016, 03:31:15 PM »
Ari- Thanks again for your advice and input on this. I just completed building an adjustable standing desk for myself and DEFINITELY need a riser under my monitors so i've decided on a horizontal style HTPC case to put under one of them.

Can you think of any other shallow cases to place under the monitor as a riser besides the Silverstone ML03 and GD04/06? I've searched and search but can't find any that would hold a few drives, standard ATX power supply and look professional.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2016, 04:18:14 PM »
Ari- Thanks again for your advice and input on this. I just completed building an adjustable standing desk for myself and DEFINITELY need a riser under my monitors so i've decided on a horizontal style HTPC case to put under one of them.

Can you think of any other shallow cases to place under the monitor as a riser besides the Silverstone ML03 and GD04/06? I've searched and search but can't find any that would hold a few drives, standard ATX power supply and look professional.

If you really need risers to find the ideal ergonomic position, you may want to consider a monitor stand rather than a PC case. I use the 3M Adjustable Stand on two of my office setups and find it very effective for the price. It has three height settings, so you'd probably find the one you need.

There really aren't any cases between the ML04 and GD04 in terms of size, so if neither of those works, I don't have any other ideas. If you could use something taller than the GD04, consider the SilverStone GD09. It's remarkably compact for a full ATX case. I have one in and will be publishing a review in the near future, so feel free to ask questions about it.

digisides

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2016, 06:37:53 PM »
I have all of my components picked out for my build but I'm stuck on picking a motherboard. You suggested the ASRock H170M-ITX/DL - however i'm willing to spend a bit more for a nicer, more stable board. I'm looking for:
-RAID support (though many say use software instead of hardware RAID- thoughts?)
-6 or more SATA ports
-6 or more USB ports
-3 or more fan headers with good software to control this.

Help?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2016, 08:33:06 PM »
I have all of my components picked out for my build but I'm stuck on picking a motherboard. You suggested the ASRock H170M-ITX/DL - however i'm willing to spend a bit more for a nicer, more stable board. I'm looking for:
-RAID support (though many say use software instead of hardware RAID- thoughts?)
-6 or more SATA ports
-6 or more USB ports
-3 or more fan headers with good software to control this.

Help?

The board you mention, the ASRock H170M-ITX/DL, is used in the Mini-ITX Gaming/Home Theater Build. RAID will not be all that feasible in an ITX case, and fan headers are a moot point as the ITX case does not have fan mounting slots. Is that the build you're interested in? This is the forum thread for the Micro ATX-based HTPC, which uses the MSI B150M Mortar.

As far as micro ATX boards that have all the options you're looking for, I'd suggest the MSI Z170M Mortar. It adds hardware RAID to the basic B150M Mortar feature list, which otherwise would have what you're looking for. I can't comment on software RAID, as I've only used hardware RAID. I think it's probably a good idea to have that feature if you're serious about RAID.

Also, as an FYI, more expensive boards are not necessarily more stable, although they typically do have more features.