Author Topic: HTPC/Server for my house  (Read 2032 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: HTPC/Server for my house
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 08:46:09 AM »
dpluigi,

Sorry, I lost track of this post because questions have been coming in from readers at a rapid pace lately.

To answer your question on the use of the Corsair H60 cooler in the SilverStone GD09 case, I actually wouldn't recommend it. As the TBG reader mentioned in the Gallery profile of his system, the H60 was a tough fit, causing the case lid to not line up exactly right. Also, it actually won't be quieter - that's a misconception about liquid coolers. They are universally louder due to the noise added by their pumps, which is in addition to their fan noise.

The release of Intel Optane Memory is very interesting in a lot of ways, but for SSD users, it's not all that significant. If you want to use it to speed up a secondary hard drive, you certainly can, but that drive will likely be used for media in an HTPC, which doesn't require fast access times. I see a lot of potential for the use of Optane in lower-cost systems that are dedicated to apps, like budget gaming PCs. Builders of such systems typically cannot afford to put in enough solid-state storage to actually use it for games, but Optane will allow them to buy large mechanical drives and get SSD-like performance. I have not tested Optane, but may do so if there's enough interest from readers.

Finally, in regard to the MSI utilities, I would recommend you install all the drivers, and then the MSI Command Center, Gaming App, and CPU-z apps. The rest aren't necessary, and some don't add much value at all.

dpluigi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 08:26:05 AM »
Hi Ari,

It is all good, no worries, those were not pressing questions and I had no expectation that you can reply all the time as promptly as you have been.

I have no experience with water cooler and I imagine the cooling (heat transfer) to be efficient so that not to require high fan speed, thanks for clarifying.  Your practical knowledge and inputs is a great resource for reader like me.

Regarding he Intel Optane, make a HDD feel more like an SSD as a fraction of the price for larger (secondary) storage space at this point in time is what I found attractive for storage space - I might have considered it instead of the Crucial SSD.  It is good that you put this in perspective that HTPC media doesn't require fast access time.  I think I was confused that it'd be good to leverage for NAS aspect/characteristic of my build (i.e. plans for files server beyond current Plex server, including FTP server) - and I can see your point.

By the way I upgraded to LG Bluray (WH16NS40) internal drive, about the same price than the x14 Bluray write speed and a more recent manufacturing date.  I noticed that it is noisy when reading data CD (for example install CD for my motherboard) or randomly on occasion, but was spinning smoothly and more quietly with an audio CD.  Is this normal of this type or Brand/Model of drive or is this specific drive defective.  I tried the x14 drive LG Bluray (WH14NS40) and it has similar noisy spinning (maybe slightly less pronounced), reminiscent of old floppy disk seeking rapidly data on different sectors.

On a side note, I posted about this on the http://codecs.forumotion.net where I had first asked about DVD, Bluray playback too.  I was told 3D playback is possible with Media Player Classic (using MADVR video renderer option) after installing the Intel plugging (needed to decode H.264 MVC 3d video) and a program like AnyDVD HD or Passkey Lite to first remove Blurays content protection.  (Would MakeMKV remove contenct protection on the fly too to allow playback?).   It looks like a legal grey area for the US to remove the content protection to then be able to make a legal backup copy of your DVD, Bluray, isn't it?
You had suggested PowerDVD around that time and I suspect it does all this internally.  Although it would be great to make a digital copy to store on my HTPC digitally, PowerDVD might be easier to use for straight playback.  Of course I just read in your A TBG Summary: The ins and outs of passing high-res audio from your HTPC about your comment whether integrating everything into your HTPC is worth the trouble.  My intent was to centralized feature and resources into an HT/NAS-PC.  No regret so fare just learning to set it up and better use it.

In hindsight, it looks like a lot of my questions spanned over posts on:
http://techbuyersguru.com/forum/index.php
http://techbuyersguru.com/forum/index.php?board=24.0 
I also feel that I have long hijacked this thread and it's been great to centralized my questions there - I hope it is ok though.  Let me know if you want to redirect discussion there. 

Thank you again for the practical and clear suggestions and feedback.
Donat

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:15:09 PM by dpluigi »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2017, 12:14:12 PM »
dpluigi - all optical drives, regardless of whether they are CD, DVD, or Blu-Ray, make a lot of noise when spinning. You should definitely take out any disc when not in use, as the drive will constantly check the disc and make noise while doing so.

I will soon be publishing a review of PowerDVD Ultra 17, and will test 3D Blu-Ray playback on it, which you may find interesting. That review will be published sometime next week.

dpluigi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 08:51:17 AM »
Thanks.  From memory it seemed that the DVD drive I had in my desktop was not as noisy.  I was out of town and just saw that your posted a great review for the case Silverstone GD 09 and PowerDVD 17.  I'll read them and post my question for the HDD install in the case there.  Thanks again.