Author Topic: The TBG $1,500 High-End Gaming PC Build  (Read 25686 times)

Ahabsmaster

• View Profile
Re: The TBG $1,500 High-End Gaming PC Build
« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2017, 04:05:46 AM »
Ahoy, All!

I am currently travel in South America, but when I return home, Feb 22, I will be building based of this build! As I have been following it and comparing I came up with a recent question and I cannot see if I am missing something.

When it comes to the Patriot 2x8GB Viper Elite DDR4-3000 Red I noticed on Amazon that if you choose the color option as Blue the price drops about $7.00. Am I seeing this right and if so I thought you may want to change this small detail in the build to make it that much cheaper.

Cheers!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2017, 06:40:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Ahabsmaster! You're actually completely right. The Patriot DDR4-3000 Blue model is a better deal right now, in fact red is actually sold out. I'll update the guide shortly. Just as an FYI, red is typically the favored pick due to better matching the color of other components, but the two RAM models are identical otherwise so either will work perfectly.

Ahabsmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2017, 09:25:00 AM »
I am a blue over red guy myself, but I wouldn't have noticed otherwise! I am glad to be following these builds along and cannot wait to see my best options for a month from now when I place my order!

kopcap999

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2017, 11:56:55 AM »
  Good afternoon. Thank you guys for such great place to get good info about DIY PC building. Going to build my first tower my self and wanted to ask your opinion on next build (I used your $1500 build as base) - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2bCwnn
  I went with NZXT Phantom 410, my questions are:
1) I am planing to use GTX 1070 SLI (thanks to your comparison for 4K gaming page), will I be able to put a second GPU on that mover board and will it fit in Phantom? Also will I need any extra fans to keep it cool? Whats your advise about power block - 550W wont be enough to power such train.
2) I didn't include optical drive to that build, in you opinion can i put internal blue ray drive, any recommendations if so?

Thank you so much in advance.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 05, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
  Good afternoon. Thank you guys for such great place to get good info about DIY PC building. Going to build my first tower my self and wanted to ask your opinion on next build (I used your $1500 build as base) - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2bCwnn
  I went with NZXT Phantom 410, my questions are:
1) I am planing to use GTX 1070 SLI (thanks to your comparison for 4K gaming page), will I be able to put a second GPU on that mover board and will it fit in Phantom? Also will I need any extra fans to keep it cool? Whats your advise about power block - 550W wont be enough to power such train.
2) I didn't include optical drive to that build, in you opinion can i put internal blue ray drive, any recommendations if so?

Thank you so much in advance.

Welcome to the TBG Forum, kopcap999!

A few thoughts about your proposed build:

(1) As shown in TBG's review of the 1080 Ti, it no longer makes sense to use 1070 SLI unless you plan on buying one 1070 now and upgrading to two much later on. That's because it ends up being more expensive with less consistent 4K performance than buying a single 1080 Ti today.

(2) The Phantom 410 is an old case and no longer recommended on TBG. If you want a case with similar looks that has good cooling, unlike the 410, then go for the SilverStone PM01. If you want a case that can hold a Blu-Ray drive, then go for the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M. Any Blu-Ray drive will work in that case, including the LG 14x BD SATA Drive.

(3) To run either a single 1080 Ti or dual 1070 cards, you should use the EVGA Supernova G3 650W. A 550W power supply will be working too hard and will run hot.

kopcap999

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2017, 01:22:21 PM »
  Thank you for prompt respond. I wish I can get 1080 but its $350 more and my budget is $1500 or so... Plan was to add 2nd 1070 later on, hopefully when nice 4K monitors with high refresh rates will be available. Do you think if I go with SilverStone case I don't need any extra fans, since it has 4 already or do i still need one for CPU (like Thermalright - Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler)? Probably will add external blue ray later also... Thanks again, best wishes!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 05, 2017, 01:28:52 PM »
  Thank you for prompt respond. I wish I can get 1080 but its $350 more and my budget is $1500 or so... Plan was to add 2nd 1070 later on, hopefully when nice 4K monitors with high refresh rates will be available. Do you think if I go with SilverStone case I don't need any extra fans, since it has 4 already or do i still need one for CPU (like Thermalright - Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler)? Probably will add external blue ray later also... Thanks again, best wishes!

In your situation, GTX 1070 SLI does indeed make sense. Go with the $1,500 Build, but upgrade the case to the SilverStone PM01 and the 650W power supply as suggested above, and you'll be fine. You don't need to add any fans at all. The second GTX 1070 SLI will work without any additional upgrades when you are ready to purchase it.

zeusnj

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »
So, I just built this PC after taking several years off from building my own PC's... I followed the exact list of components as listed in the guide.  My, things have changed since 15 yrs ago!  This PC build is great and it's wicked fast, but I'm really confused by something.  I installed Windows 10 with the DVD, but after installing everything and getting it all ready, I notice that my PC always boots to the MSI Click BIOS first and only once I exit out of the Click BIOS will it then go into Windows 10.  Is this normal???  I'm used to older PC's that go through the BIOS POST process and then boot straight to Windows, so this is throwing me for a loop.  In the Click BIOS, if I look at the BOOT PRIORITY list, I see all the drives listed as UEFI drives and then after that, I see the drives listed without the UEFI tag.  Anyway, I hope the way I'm explaining this make sense to you all but hopefully someone can give me some advice on this.  Shouldn't this PC just boot straight to Windows 10 instead of having to go through the BIOS screen first every single time I reboot???
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:39:31 PM by zeusnj »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2017, 12:53:18 PM »
So, I just built this PC after taking several years off from building my own PC's... I followed the exact list of components as listed in the guide.  My, things have changed since 15 yrs ago!  This PC build is great and it's wicked fast, but I'm really confused by something.  I installed Windows 10 with the DVD, but after installing everything and getting it all ready, I notice that my PC always boots to the MSI Click BIOS first and only once I exit out of the Click BIOS will it then go into Windows 10.  Is this normal???  I'm used to older PC's that go through the BIOS POST process and then boot straight to Windows, so this is throwing me for a loop.  In the Click BIOS, if I look at the BOOT PRIORITY list, I see all the drives listed as UEFI drives and then after that, I see the drives listed without the UEFI tag.  Anyway, I hope the way I'm explaining this make sense to you all but hopefully someone can give me some advice on this.  Shouldn't this PC just boot straight to Windows 10 instead of having to go through the BIOS screen first every single time I reboot???

Welcome to the TBG Forum, zeusnj!

Indeed, your PC should boot straight into Windows, but a minor glitch in the boot routine will send it into the UEFI. I've seen this on several of TBG's test systems, and in fact I think I've seen it using the very board you have.

Quick question: have you enabled any overclocking or other features, specifically the XMP profile? If so, return the UEFI to defaults (there's an option for that in the menus), and see if that takes care of it. If so, then you can adjust things again, noting if any send the boot routine directly into the UEFI.

By the way, as long as you're here, consider signing up for the prize drawing going on right now!

zeusnj

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2017, 01:29:31 PM »
Hi Ari,

I have not enable any of the OC elements.  I wanted to run everything pretty much "vanilla" for a bit until I make sure everything is working and then will play with OC'ing at a later time.  I've only used default settings in UEFI.  I'm really not sure what's causing the issue.  I'm not getting any errors and everything seems to be working fine.  The only issue I'm having is that it's going into UEFI on bootup and then I have to close out the UEFI which will then send me to the Windows 10 startup.

I looked at the boot priority and tried to place the SSD drive that is show without the UEFI tag, first.  Once I boot with that option it says that no boot drive is present.  If I change it back to the SSD drive tagged as a UEFI drive, it will then once again go to UEFI first... and then again, I have to exit out of UEFI and it will then go to Windows.  It's driving me nuts, because I can't figure out what's causing it.

I'll try setting the UEFI to defaults like you mentioned and see if that does anything.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:34:06 PM by zeusnj »

zeusnj

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2017, 01:57:28 PM »
OK, so I tried resetting the UEFI to "Optimized Defaults" and still have the same issue, darn!!!  Here's some screenshots from the UEFI... Not sure if it helps...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »
Thanks for posting the screenshots. You are indeed running at default settings, so that's not the issue. It appears that the MSI board isn't quite recognizing the Crucial MX300 M.2 drive you're using. You definitely need to keep in on the "UEFI version" of the boot drive, as that's created by Windows to assist in proper startup.

What I'd suggest as a first step is to unplug both SATA devices from the motherboard (the hard drive and DVD drive), and see if that helps. I'm thinking there may be a conflict between one of those ports and the M.2 slot (there are only a fixed number of SATA lanes on any motherboard, and the M.2 slots most "borrow" one to use a SATA-based drive in the slot.

zeusnj

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2017, 02:37:33 PM »
Thank you so much for trying to help me figure this out...  So, I disconnected the SATA cable from the HDD and DVD drive and it again just boots to the UEFI first.  I took some screenshots which I will post below... but here's the crazy part.  I left the USB Flash drive on the USB port and after I connected the SATA cables back up and rebooted, the PC now boots straight to windows 10!  If I remove the USB Flash drive from the port, it again goes back to booting into the UEFI first.  I tried rebooting a few times to confirm it... so with USB flash drive plugged in, the PC will boot straight to Windows... if I remove it, it goes to UEFI first!  STRANGE!!!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »
What's on that USB drive, zeusnj? Might you have had that drive inserted when you installed Windows?

My concern is that a boot "key" was placed by Windows on that USB drive, rather than your M.2 drive, so it's looking for it in the boot sequence.

zeusnj

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2017, 03:05:24 PM »
I didn't even use that or any other USB drive when I installed windows... I only plugged it in earlier today to store the UEFI snapshots to it.  It was the first time I plugged any USB drives into the PC.  Very strange...  There's nothing on the USB flash drive, by the way... just some Word docs and etc...   

**EDIT**  I also tried disabling the USB Boot Key from the boot priority list, but that didn't take care of the issue. Still have the same thing happening.  Ugh!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:30:33 PM by zeusnj »