Author Topic: Absolute Noob (First PC build)  (Read 989 times)

FingerlessTom

• View Profile
Absolute Noob (First PC build)
« on: September 19, 2016, 02:13:07 PM »
Hi there, I came to this forum for some help on my first ever build.
I followed the $2500 guide for the most part but made a change based off of a friends suggestion.
The build is as follows currently:

-Intel Core i7-6700k
-ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA LGA 1151 (rather than the GIGABYTE one suggested in the 2.5k build post)
-EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC (x2)  *was debating on swapping out for FTW
-Corsair 2x16GB Vengeance LED DDR4-3200
-Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
-Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 (more than likely going to get this case, but I'm still looking)
-EVGA SuperNova P2 850W
-Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Liquid Cooler

Getting a dvd drive is still in question, but it's really not that important atm.
Here is where the noob will really shine to all you tech experts. My main question is really, is replacing the GIGABYTE mobo with the more expensive ASUS worth it? I've looked at reviews and both have really good things to say for the most part but I really don't know too much so I just listened to my friends suggestion.
Also I'm curious on the differnce between the 1070 SC and 1070 FTW, for the most part, it just seems like the FTW is much more custimizable when it comes to color coding, or going with a certain color theme, but adds an extra 20 bucks per card.

Any tips on building a PC are also gladly welcomed

ps. sorry if this post seems like I should've just done more research, I just wanted to post what I'm dealing with and see what people think

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Absolute Noob (First PC build)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 02:50:40 PM »
Hi there, I came to this forum for some help on my first ever build.
I followed the $2500 guide for the most part but made a change based off of a friends suggestion.
The build is as follows currently:

-Intel Core i7-6700k
-ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA LGA 1151 (rather than the GIGABYTE one suggested in the 2.5k build post)
-EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC (x2)  *was debating on swapping out for FTW
-Corsair 2x16GB Vengeance LED DDR4-3200
-Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
-Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 (more than likely going to get this case, but I'm still looking)
-EVGA SuperNova P2 850W
-Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Liquid Cooler

Getting a dvd drive is still in question, but it's really not that important atm.
Here is where the noob will really shine to all you tech experts. My main question is really, is replacing the GIGABYTE mobo with the more expensive ASUS worth it? I've looked at reviews and both have really good things to say for the most part but I really don't know too much so I just listened to my friends suggestion.
Also I'm curious on the differnce between the 1070 SC and 1070 FTW, for the most part, it just seems like the FTW is much more custimizable when it comes to color coding, or going with a certain color theme, but adds an extra 20 bucks per card.

Any tips on building a PC are also gladly welcomed

ps. sorry if this post seems like I should've just done more research, I just wanted to post what I'm dealing with and see what people think

Welcome to The TBG Forum, FingerlessTom!

Actually, that's a very good question you ask. It's often hard to determine what the value of higher-end motherboards is. The Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha, in addition to having a very long name(!), has a number of features that go above and beyond what the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 has. Chief among those is built-in 802.11ac networking (worth about $50 on its own), an audio breakout box, configurable LED lighting, and dual U.2 ports. It also has a pretty distinctive style. Will it perform better or overclock higher than the Gigabyte board? Extremely doubtful. Is it a high-quality board with top-end features? Absolutely.

The question for a serious gamer is whether it's worth spending $50-$100 more on a motherboard when that money could go to something else, like an ultra-high-end glass-and-aluminum-clad case like the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, or perhaps be put towards an upgrade to dual liquid-cooled GTX 1070 cards, which will perform a bit better than air-cooled GTX 1070s. Nothing else in the $2,500 build can actually be easily upgraded for $100, which is why I highlight those two potential upgrades.

In my opinion, ultra-high-end Z170 motherboards don't make a lot of sense, but I will say that the Asus 802.11ac solution is fabulous, so if that's something you need, it may be reason enough to jump up to the Hero Alpha.

As for the difference between the GTX 1070 SC and GTX 1070 FTW, there are two main distinctions:
(1) the SC has white LEDs, the FTW has RGB LEDs, as you have already determined. That may be worth it on its own.
(2) the FTW has larger fans and a custom board with upgraded power, but honestly none of this matters with a GTX 1070, as it won't improve overclocking.

Hope that helps!

And to learn how to build an extreme PC, definitely check out TBG's hands-on Ultra-High-End Assembly Guide!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:59:32 PM by Ari Altman »

FingerlessTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 05:10:23 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply! The more I read, the more I just want to say screw it and get it all hahahah. I'm curious, not sure if you'd know the answer or not, but what would the temp difference be if it was air cooled, compared to having the 2 GPU's liquid cooled, and how much of a performance boost would it give, in your best estimate obviously. Would there be sufficient airflow if I allocated funds towards the case you suggested (very nice looking btw) but held off on the liquid cooled 1070's, I'm sure there would be, but another person's advice would be nice.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 06:16:30 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply! The more I read, the more I just want to say screw it and get it all hahahah. I'm curious, not sure if you'd know the answer or not, but what would the temp difference be if it was air cooled, compared to having the 2 GPU's liquid cooled, and how much of a performance boost would it give, in your best estimate obviously. Would there be sufficient airflow if I allocated funds towards the case you suggested (very nice looking btw) but held off on the liquid cooled 1070's, I'm sure there would be, but another person's advice would be nice.

The case will not improve performance, but will improve looks. The liquid-cooled GPUs will improve performance, and perhaps looks too if you like the hoses! But they're a bit harder to install (you'll need to attach the radiators to the front and rear of the case, as the CPU's liquid cooler will be up top), and if you haven't built an ultra-high-end PC before, the sheer amount of hardware in the case may be overwhelming.

By the way, the benefit of liquid-cooled GPUs with the current-gen Nvidia cards is that they allow much more consistent clock rates. That's because Nvidia's Pascal-based GPUs downclock every 5-10C, starting at 65C. So if you dial in an otherwise stable 2000MHz overclock, an air-cooled card running at 75C will actually be closer to 1975MHz. That's a 1.3% difference to be exact, so it's something extreme enthusiasts will care more about than everyone else. Whether that's you is up to you to decide!

Honestly, the build is set up really well as it is, so I'd rather not talk you into an upgrade. I think you'd be very happy with the listed components, or with the Asus motherboard upgrade you found (assuming you want the 802.11ac networking).

FingerlessTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 04:34:37 PM »
The main reason I looked at that build was because I was trying to think of a way that I could save my money, and build a computer, the fastest way possible, and after many hours of thought I've decided rather than rushing this sort of thing, I may as well save a lot of money, and go into it then. This is mainly because I wouldn't even be able to afford the above build for another few months anyways, and in the tech world, a lot happens in just a few months, everything from price drops to possibly new tech. I'm thinking of changing the build even further (sorry for jumping around hahaha).

I've been really looking into x99 mobo's and am strongly considering on investing in one (currently eyeing down the ASUS X99-DELUXE II).
After which I planned on getting a Intel i7 6800k for the extra 2 cores over the 6700k, since I like to do more than just gaming), and going even further, rather than doing a GTX 1070 SLI, I've been watching many videos on the 1080 and how well it handles 4k and lower resolutions. I'm convinced that a single 1080 will do me just fine for the time being (my plan is eventually to buy another 1080 so i can do a 1080 SLI down the road) so I'm thinking of getting the  ASUS ROG GTX 1080 STRIX. by doing this, I can save about $400 since I wont be buying a second GPU at the same time, which goes towards the newer x99 and the other i7.

kinda lengthy, my apologizes and I know I'm kinda doing a fliparoo on you here, don't worry, you won't make me think "oh he's suggesting something more expensive" for everything I just mentioned, I'm more than willing to go up or down in price points, my goal is to makke it so I won't have to put any money into this computer (besides the 2nd 1080) for a very long time.

Thanks for your patience, and I'm curious as to what you think of my new build plan!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 05:54:47 PM »
The main reason I looked at that build was because I was trying to think of a way that I could save my money, and build a computer, the fastest way possible, and after many hours of thought I've decided rather than rushing this sort of thing, I may as well save a lot of money, and go into it then. This is mainly because I wouldn't even be able to afford the above build for another few months anyways, and in the tech world, a lot happens in just a few months, everything from price drops to possibly new tech. I'm thinking of changing the build even further (sorry for jumping around hahaha).

I've been really looking into x99 mobo's and am strongly considering on investing in one (currently eyeing down the ASUS X99-DELUXE II).
After which I planned on getting a Intel i7 6800k for the extra 2 cores over the 6700k, since I like to do more than just gaming), and going even further, rather than doing a GTX 1070 SLI, I've been watching many videos on the 1080 and how well it handles 4k and lower resolutions. I'm convinced that a single 1080 will do me just fine for the time being (my plan is eventually to buy another 1080 so i can do a 1080 SLI down the road) so I'm thinking of getting the  ASUS ROG GTX 1080 STRIX. by doing this, I can save about $400 since I wont be buying a second GPU at the same time, which goes towards the newer x99 and the other i7.

kinda lengthy, my apologizes and I know I'm kinda doing a fliparoo on you here, don't worry, you won't make me think "oh he's suggesting something more expensive" for everything I just mentioned, I'm more than willing to go up or down in price points, my goal is to makke it so I won't have to put any money into this computer (besides the 2nd 1080) for a very long time.

Thanks for your patience, and I'm curious as to what you think of my new build plan!

Hey again, Fingerless!

I think I can help you figure things out. I've published benches on 1070 and 1070 SLI, and I'm in the process of benching 1080, 1080 SLI, and Titan X Pascal. I have a pretty good handle on how these setups handle 4K, and a single GTX 1080 really isn't the ideal 4K solution. Based on my benchmarks, I switched the $2,500 4K build from a 6800K/1080 to 6700K/1070SLI in August. I did this because I wanted TBG readers to have the best 4K experience possible.

Now, if you have other uses for your PC that can take advantage of more than four cores (which games cannot, based on an in-depth benchmarking article I published yesterday), then you may indeed want a 6800K and a less expensive GPU solution.

But I want to caution you about pouring too much money into motherboards. If you're working with a $2,000-$2,500 budget, a $400 motherboard doesn't offer the best return on investment. The ASUS X99-DELUXE II is a great motherboard, and in fact it's the board I recommend for the $5,000 Gaming PC Build, but there's a reason I don't suggest it in a $2,500 PC. There are better ways to spend your money that will actually improve performance. And luckily, Asus offers a number of other motherboards with similar styling, in case that's what you like about the Deluxe.

Probably the best thing for you to do is decide exactly what you want to spend, whether it's $2,000, $2,500, $3,000, or something else, and then make your choices based on that. If you then list out your intended PC uses in order of priority that you want your PC to handle, I'm sure I can help you pinpoint the best setup.

FingerlessTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 06:29:35 PM »
So, as of right now, money is of no real object, because I've thought it over and I'm more than willing to save until I get what I desire. Number 1 priority is definitely gaming, and being able to see in 4k. I've recently watched a video on youtube of Jackfrags running a 1080 and playing games on 4k, which is where I've decided I'd rather go with the 1080. I'm not gonna cry over a few frames as im a console peasent and 30fps is a normal thing for me, and just have the ability to see in 4k is really all I want to achieve, for now. The other main reason I want to go with the 1080 is because I know I'd be able to afford a second one about a month after I put this computer together, which is my plan. I really don't know too much about motherboards, but I've been reading that in order to optimally run an SLI setup I'll need 2 16 PCIe slots (please correct me if im wrong). When it comes down to the motherboard, it doesnt matter too much for me as long as I have the wifi.

basically in short, while I know 2 gtx 1070 in SLI would slay a 1080 at 4k, Im willing to deal with the lesser performance because I'm gonna just be throwing another GPU in shortly after. I basically just need help figuring out what the best mobo would be for me, like I said, I don't care too much about prices, but 500-650 bucks would be my price range (thats in CAD btw so I'm guessing it'd be 300-550 USD.. I really don't know, everything here is soooooo expensive hahaha).

Also, If I were to get an x99, I'm assuming, rather than getting 2 16gb ram, I'd get 4 8gb instead because of their quad channels? I'm only wondering because I'm not too sure, and I believe I've read this before

Basically, the 2.5k setup on this website, is roughly a 3.3k setup in Canadian (and thats without the 4k monitor) which is why I've ultimately decided to say screw it, and really go big or go home.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 07:26:57 PM »
So, as of right now, money is of no real object, because I've thought it over and I'm more than willing to save until I get what I desire. Number 1 priority is definitely gaming, and being able to see in 4k. I've recently watched a video on youtube of Jackfrags running a 1080 and playing games on 4k, which is where I've decided I'd rather go with the 1080. I'm not gonna cry over a few frames as im a console peasent and 30fps is a normal thing for me, and just have the ability to see in 4k is really all I want to achieve, for now. The other main reason I want to go with the 1080 is because I know I'd be able to afford a second one about a month after I put this computer together, which is my plan. I really don't know too much about motherboards, but I've been reading that in order to optimally run an SLI setup I'll need 2 16 PCIe slots (please correct me if im wrong). When it comes down to the motherboard, it doesnt matter too much for me as long as I have the wifi.

basically in short, while I know 2 gtx 1070 in SLI would slay a 1080 at 4k, Im willing to deal with the lesser performance because I'm gonna just be throwing another GPU in shortly after. I basically just need help figuring out what the best mobo would be for me, like I said, I don't care too much about prices, but 500-650 bucks would be my price range (thats in CAD btw so I'm guessing it'd be 300-550 USD.. I really don't know, everything here is soooooo expensive hahaha).

Also, If I were to get an x99, I'm assuming, rather than getting 2 16gb ram, I'd get 4 8gb instead because of their quad channels? I'm only wondering because I'm not too sure, and I believe I've read this before

Basically, the 2.5k setup on this website, is roughly a 3.3k setup in Canadian (and thats without the 4k monitor) which is why I've ultimately decided to say screw it, and really go big or go home.

I've actually published an article on the SLI/PCIe lane question. Might want to check that out to learn more about it.

Based on your preferences, I'd suggest you go with the $3,500 Ultimate Gaming PC, starting with just one of its two GTX 1080 cards and the 6800K instead of the 6850K spec'd in that build, and then go from there. You'll be starting at around CAD$3,600.

FingerlessTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 07:41:03 PM »
Sounds good! Thank you so much for all the help, I really appreciate it. It can be a little intimidating asking questions like this in forums as not everyone is so inclined to help such as yourself. I have one final question. When getting an SSD, there the option of 2.5", M.2 and mSATA. I'm kind of confused on this. I'm assuming the M.2 one would be able to go into the M.2 port, but how does the 2.5" one work, with SATA cables?

once again, thanks for all the help, you've really got me going in a good direction, and with all the researching I've been doing, and with your suggestions, I know where to take myself from here.

Thanks immensely, from a newbie PC user such as myself!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 09:57:06 PM »
Happy to help!

2.5" SATA drives work just like hard drives: they attach via cables. mSATA is a dead standard, so that's not something you'll be using in a modern system. M.2 drives are used with the motherboard's M.2 slot (or slots). The only reason to choose an M.2 drive is if you want an ultra-high-performance version, like the Samsung 950 Pro (or the 960 Pro that's about to be announced this week!).